What a difference a HS makes!

Discussion in 'Intel' started by MyndPhlyp, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. MyndPhlyp

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    Yeah, I'm sure most all the regulars here already know this but I just can't
    resist crowing a bit.

    'Bout a year ago I picked up a couple of D875PBZ's and set them both up with
    P4 3.0 GHz Northwoods. The major difference between the installations is one
    used the Intel retail HSF w/ the original thermal pad while the other used a
    Zalman all-copper HSF and some Artic Silver. Well the warm weather started
    kicking in and the system with the Intel HSF started sounding more and more
    like a Boeing 787 (plus Intel's Active Monitor started complaining). I
    decided to finally swap out that Intel HSF for another Zalman all-copper
    HSF.

    Intel HSF w/ system at 50% load ran at 61C with the fans pretty much a full
    tilt.

    Zalman HSF w/ system at 100% load runs at 45C and the fans are 1/2 speed or
    less.

    Best $50 I ever spent.

    The big laugh came about when I pulled the Intel HSF. Dust bunnies the likes
    of which mankind hasn't seen since the Mesozoic era. I popped the case to
    the other system and the Zalman shows only trace accumulation.

    With the price of aluminum and copper the way it is, I think I'll punch the
    copper core out of the Intel HSF's and see what I can get from the scrap
    yard.

    MyndPhlyp, Mar 25, 2005

  2. For a Northwood at 3.0Ghz 61c is way too hot on a stock cooler. I'd suggest
    that wasn't mounted correctly. I have a system running a 3.0Ghz Northwood on
    a stock cooler and running 2 x prime 95 for 100% utilisation there is no way
    I can get the thing up to 50c. Do bear in mind that the stock cooler
    variable fan speeds up based on ambient temp rather than CPU die temp.

    Matthew Wheeler, Mar 25, 2005

  3. MyndPhlyp

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    Thanks, but highly unlikely. Mount surface A to surface B, rotate locking
    levers to secure. Not exactly rocket surgery.

    MyndPhlyp, Mar 25, 2005
  4. No it isn't difficult to physically mount the HSF, but thats only half the
    battle. Any imperfections in the thermal interface material will create
    resistance to the CPU's ability to transfer heat to the heatsink.

    Matthew Wheeler, Mar 25, 2005
  5. MyndPhlyp

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    .... which now deviates from the supposition that it wasn't mounted correctly
    and instead aligns more with the possibilities of a manufacturing, packaging
    or design defect. Thermal transfer and fluid dynamics are not new to me, but
    thanks again.

    MyndPhlyp, Mar 25, 2005
  6. MyndPhlyp

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    He did mention finding mesozoic-era dust bunnies in there too, you know.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 26, 2005