    Simple question. Some say 64mb is enough, some say 32mb. My mobo manual says
    use 128mb?!

    Please tell how much ram your video card have. Mine is Radeon8500le 64mb. ;)

    Asestar, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Asestar

    Glenn Guest

    I have a 8500le 64Mb and I have the AGP Aperture set to 256Mb. From what
    I've read, set the aperture to half of what your Physical memory is - as in
    your system RAM - not the RAM on the graphics card.

    Glenn

    Glenn, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Asestar

    JAD Guest

    = to the on card memory is always my way

    JAD, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Asestar

    Lee Guest

    you will not notice any performance difference between 64mb and 128mb at all
    setting it from 64mb to 128mb you may actually get stability issues so may
    have to put it back down to 64mb but use 128mb if things are ok.

    Lee, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Asestar

    Geoff Guest

    generaly you set it to 50% of your system memory
    so if you have 512meg
    set it to 256meg
    anything over 64meg is fine though, below that stuff doesn't work too well
    (video streams)

    Geoff, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Asestar

    Mart Guest

    You might find this an interesting read:

    http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

    Oh, and for the record i'm using 128mb (Radeon 9700Pro)

    Mart

    Mart, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Asestar

    @ndrew Guest

    The rule of thumb has always been to set it to twice the value of the
    ram on board the card (not system ram .. what a nonsense that is) and
    the tests seem to prove this point.

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Feb 3, 2004
  8. No, never heard that before.

    It's always been to set it to half your system RAM.

    Mind you I'm not saying that makes sense in all cases, it's easily
    possible that you video card will not be able to use anywhere near that
    amount of RAM.

    Brian Gregory [UK], Feb 3, 2004
  9. Asestar

    Kill Bill Guest

    Yep...

    Kill Bill, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Asestar

    Andrew Guest

    That was the general rule of thumb a couple of years back, but it
    doesn't apply now that a lot of people have 1GB+ RAM.

    Andrew, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Asestar

    Gordon Scott Guest

    I have a 64meg card, always used 128 meg apature.

    Gordon Scott, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Asestar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    The AGP aperture is the amount of system ram you are willing to let your
    video card use. Generally the more the better, but don't use it all.

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Asestar

    scott Guest

    Presumably though the graphics card only uses system ram when it runs out of
    its own ram? Does this happen often? Isn't the whole argument about 256mb
    cards being a bit pointless at the moment because not many games use more
    than 128mb at the moment?

    scott, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Asestar

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    Yes, only when the card runs out of ram. No, it doesn't happen often,
    especially with the new, fast cards. Their ram is usually faster than system
    ram. But it does happen. How often depends on your video card.
    When it does happen, your program will slow down dramatically for a few
    seconds or crash. If your card has 64mb of memory and you have 128mb of
    system ram, it could happen more often. In that case, for example, you
    wouldn't want to set the AGP aperture to 128 :)
    Aside from that, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in video speed
    between setting of 64 and 128, but it may make a difference in video speed
    clocking software that stresses the card.

    Gary

    GTX_SlotCar, Feb 3, 2004
  15. Asestar

    Asestar Guest

    I have 512 mb system ram. Seting agp to 256mb does incur stability problems.
    As indicated by test.

    Asestar, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Asestar

    JAD Guest

    yes ditto, 256 has been a bad choice for many.

    JAD, Feb 3, 2004
  17. Asestar

    Frank Guest

    I have a Radeon 9800pro 128mb.
    Graphic Win Size (which is the equivalent of AGP Aperture Size)
    set to 64mb.
    This has been much discussed here and in many other forums for years
    now.
    You would likely do well to test the settings and determine what works
    best for you and your particular hardware.

    Frank

    Below from: http://www.rojakpot.com/
    Adrian's Rojak Pot-The BIOS Optimization Guide

    Graphic Win Size

    Common Options : 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

    Quick Review

    This BIOS feature does two things. It selects the size of the AGP
    aperture (hence, the name Graphic Windows Size) and it determines the
    size of the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table).

    The aperture is a portion of the PCI memory address range that is
    dedicated for use as AGP memory address space while the GART is a
    translation table that translates AGP memory addresses into actual
    memory addresses which are often fragmented. The GART allows the
    graphics card to see the memory region available to it as a contiguous
    piece of memory range.

    Host cycles that hit the aperture range are forwarded to the AGP bus
    without need for translation. The aperture size also determines the
    maximum amount of system memory that can be allocated to the AGP
    graphics card for texture storage.

    Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual
    physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people
    recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of
    system memory, that is wrong!

    The requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's
    local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will
    have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. So, if you
    upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be
    "deceived" into thinking that you will need even more AGP memory! On
    the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.

    It is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB
    in size, even if your graphics card has a lot of onboard memory. This
    allows flexibility in the event that you actually need extra memory
    for texture storage. It will also keep the GART (Graphics Address
    Relocation Table) within a reasonable size.

    Frank, Feb 3, 2004