What are the most vunerable parts of the motherboard relating to heat ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. I am starting to wonder:

    1. What are the most vunerable parts of the motherboard relating to heat ?

    I see cpu chips survive 100 degrees celcius... I see gpu chips survive 90
    degrees celcius.

    However it seems the motherboard dies easily after 1 year of running at 55
    degrees or so during summer time.

    Why is it that the motherboard can't handle higher temperatures ?

    Which components on the motherboard are most likely to fail first because of
    heat ?

    2. Would it be possible for motherboard manufacturer's to make more
    heat-reliable motherboards ?

    Or is there some kind of problem ?

    Maybe it's not the motherboard manufacturers problem ?

    Maybe the people who make the little thingies have their heads in their
    butts and are making crappy shit.

    Please make better shit :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 21, 2008

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Bigguy Guest

    Probably electrolytic caps - they are usually the first to fail; heat
    causes them to dry out.

    Voltage regs with poor heatsinks will often be next.

    Some North Bridge chips also run hot and are not always fitted with
    heatsinks/fans.
    Yes...

    It's demand v cost.

    I guess there is 'limited demand' for this; although anyone who has
    served in Iraq, trying to get IT kit to work without air-con can see a
    demand.... ;-)

    There are also many industries (oil + gas, surveying + exploration,
    nautical etc.) who would benefit from 'ruggedised' PCs.

    Domestic /commercial PCs expect to operate within 'reasonable' temp
    limits - it's specified in the manual.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Skybuck Flying

    MooseFET Guest

    The CPU chip was running at 20+80=100C it is now running at
    55+80=135C. This may be the failure.
    Long term high temperature makes the Lithium go bad.

    Yes but it costs either money or performance. High temperature
    components are usually more expensive.

    You can cut the power in the CPU by dropping its clock rate in half.

    You can use parts that are over rated for the application and add heat
    pipes etc.

    Most PC mother boards are intended to be suspended in the air. If you
    instead made the PCB such that in mounted pressed down onto an
    aluminum heat sink and had fluorinert pumped over its top surface, you
    could greatly reduce the operating temperature rise.

    MooseFET, Jul 21, 2008
  4. 55 degrees was the temperature of the motherboard.. outside it was at most
    25.5 degrees celcius or so.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jul 21, 2008
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Marty Guest

    I am also starting to wonder. Were you born retarded or did it result
    from an accident?

    Marty

    Marty, Jul 22, 2008