  1. mich

    mich Guest

    Well what?????

    mich, Jun 3, 2004

  2. mich

    Zebedee Guest

    Make sure it's new and not some secondhand crud. Never, ever, buy a
    secondhand laptop. They're secondhand because they're broken.

    Make sure it's from a manufacturer that'll supply parts now AND in the
    future. IBM will do this.
    Check the battery life and the cost of replacement batteries.
    Check that the hard drive is a standard drive - just in case you need to
    replace it.
    Possibly get a second battery/drive/caddy with the laptop.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jun 3, 2004

  3. mich

    Ricky Guest

    I'd have to disagree there...sounds like you're talking from your own
    experience, which is more than likely to be the exception to the rule.

    I known several people who have bought second hand or refurb laptops,
    saved *a lot* of money and they're still working fine 3 or 4 years on.

    Ricky, Jun 7, 2004
  4. mich

    Zebedee Guest

    Maybe but when you're talking £500ish for a brand new laptop and £200+ for a
    secondhand offering that might or might not fail spectacularly, I know I'd
    rather buy new.

    I've found on too many occasions that saving half the cost on secondhand
    usually means that I could have saved money by buying new, after all the
    things that go wrong.

    No. Never buy secondhand electronics.

    Zebedee, Jun 7, 2004
  5. mich

    Derek_D Guest

    For a laptop I would first look to make sure that it has the
    expandability that you need. How many slots for PC cards? The
    standard is two, but not all will have two slots. How long will the
    battery last before being recharged? Do you want a trackpad or
    trackpoint for a mouse device? Will you need a docking station? How
    durable is it? If you are going to be using it in conditions where it
    is bumped around a lot you may want to look into laptops with heavy
    duty casings.

    Hope this helps.

    Derek_D, Jun 10, 2004