    need a snazzy video card.

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Ken

    Ken Maltby Guest

    The whole idea of "NAS" (Network Attached Storage) is
    that it is independent of the systems on the network. You
    can even have systems running different OS. You can have
    both Mac and PC, it matters not to a NAS.

    I have a Buffalo TeraStation NAS, but it's odd you mention
    snazzy, you might want to check out www.snazzishop.com

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Ken

    Ken Maltby Guest

    This could be even more to the point:
    http://www.snazio.com/Links/TeraNAS Intro.htm
    as you might want a good media server included within
    your NAS.

    See also:
    http://www.buffalotech.com/products/storage.php

    If you have a PC/Mac connected to your LAN and your
    Home Theater display device, you can just play media files,
    (from any shared device/folder on your LAN, including your
    NAS) you don't really need to establish a special server. If
    you are using a networked media/DVD player then you will
    want a compatible server on your NAS.
    /Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I have only PCs on our home system. I am just looking for a machine to
    which I can keep adding drives for storage. Any suggestions about an
    ASUS board that would fill the bill?

    Ken, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Well, how many HDs do you want?? 10 USB and some SATAs + 4 PATAs??
    nForce4...

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    Thomas Wendell, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Ken

    Ken Maltby Guest

    OK, but that has nothing to do with NAS. You might want
    to wait and see what you can find for the Conroe.
    /Ken M

    Ken Maltby, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Ken

    Paul Guest

    I was looking at a benchmarking page on Tomshardware yesterday,
    and the NAS boxes they had listed, had pretty poor performance.
    At least with a motherboard based solution, you can get things
    like gigabit LAN interfaces, to try and do better. The protocol
    used and the underlying OS will make some difference to the
    results.

    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/nas/charts/index.html?chart=125

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 26, 2006
  8. Ken

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Both the Buffalo and Snazzi NAS have gigabit LAN interfaces.
    The Networked Media Players only use 10/100 interfaces, and I
    have used my Buffalo LinkTheater to play HD files off my
    Terastation at that speed with no problems.

    A motherboard solution certainly will have better performance,
    within that system, if that were the issue why mention a LAN at
    all, much less NAS. There is a performance hit moving files over
    a LAN, compared to moving files between local drives. There is
    much less of a hit with a gigabit LAN, but there is still a very
    noticeable difference. Fortunately, playing media files is not so
    demanding, and even a Wireless connection can work, I don't
    recommend it, but many media server setups use wireless.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jul 26, 2006
  9. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Sorry, I was offline yesterday. I am mainly looking for storage, as I
    had mentioned earlier. I have developed a certain paranoia about losing
    data and I backup my computer nightly onto another computer in the
    house. I thought I would put in a storage unit (about 1T) in my wiring
    closet so that if someone broke into our home and took any of the
    exposed computers before the alarm guard and/or police arrived, they
    would only have dumb terminals. I had not even considered that there is
    a big difference between NAS and a computer that has 4-5 SATA drives as
    its storage. We only have PC's in the house all of which run either
    Win2000 or XP Pro. What advantage would there be in having a NAS as
    opposed to a computer dedicated to storage?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Jul 26, 2006
  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I have 5 various SATA drives from 250-300GB each. I suppose I will add
    more over time.

    KK

    Ken, Jul 27, 2006
  11. To paraphrase the words of Bill Gates "100 terabytes of storage is all
    that the average home computer user would ever need"

    Barry Watzman, Jul 27, 2006
  12. Ken

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Well, a NAS is, in a very limited way, a computer with a number
    of harddrives and a network connection. So while you would be
    wasting most of the capability of the MB, you could do as you
    describe. (Of course a computer in the wiring closet is a great idea,
    check out home automation.)

    As regards SATA on the new MB, a little reading might be in
    order:
    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2770

    Luck;
    Ken