    problem. Now they say they will switch motherboards. At what point do they
    give up and either make an exchange/upgrade? When is it appropriate to
    request an exchange/upgrade? When do they volunteer such a thing?

    Ron Kiener, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Ron Kiener

    Quaoar Guest

    Exchange/upgrade is never going to happen, IMO. HP is never going to
    voluntarily exchange or upgrade. They will switch out mainboards until
    the day the warranty ends, and then you will be on your own. Review the
    warranty. They might not even have to do this for a simple NIC problem.
    If the DHCP lease failure continues, find lsafix.exe and
    winsockxpfix.exe via Google and run both in default mode. This usually
    takes care of DHCP problems with XP. The source of the problem is
    frequently spyware, malware, etc.

    IANAL.

    Quaoar, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Ron Kiener

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ron,

    Any time you ship a computer back to a name-brand company for any kind of
    service, you are likely to get another unit, and, just as likely, a refurb, at
    that. As you have found out, they also re-image the operating system, whether
    that solves the problem or not.

    So take note of your original serial number, and compare with the unit you get
    back. Back up any important personal data before shipping a computer out.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Ron Kiener

    Ron Kiener Guest

    Thanks Q, for what I suspect might be the correct answer concerning my
    pavilion, and as well the reference to lspfix (I assume that is what you
    meant) and winsockxpfix, neither of which I have heard of. The reason I
    think it might not be XP related is that I ran a DOS-booted program called
    netboot which bypasses the hard drive to go through the DHCP leasing
    procedure. The program was able to find a lease on my desktop PC, but not
    the ze4420us. In any event, whatever is returned to me (refurb ze4420us;
    same box, new MB; etc.), if it still doesn't work, I'll take your suggestion
    and try these 2 programs.

    Ron Kiener, Jul 25, 2004
  5. Ron Kiener

    Quaoar Guest

    Your are correct, lspfix.exe. Also, as silly as it might seem, replace
    the ethernet cable with another, especially if you assembled it
    yourself. Cables are pretty resilient, but do get damaged.

    Quaoar, Jul 25, 2004
  6. Ron Kiener

    Elector Guest

    Ha ha Ben now you know that should have been my line....
    I own the exact same unit. I will not ship it back and today is the
    last of the free warranty. In fact Ron you can do what I have always
    done and that is fix the unit yourself and don't expect any service
    from HP unless it is crappy service.

    There is a new BIOS update for the unit at the drivers download site
    that may fix your problem, as well as an update for the NIC for the
    very problem your describing.

    Elector

    Elector, Jul 25, 2004