    stability/cost than performance/feature.

    Thanks.......
    Ernest

    Ernest Siu, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Ernest Siu

    Paul Guest

    You can find a lot of boards, prices, and also review postings
    on this site. Even if you don't buy from them, this is a valuable
    resource.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=280&DEPA=0

    Asrock, for example, has five boards listed for $50, which is pretty
    cheap. As you've crossposted to the elitegroup, ECS boards are another
    source of cheap boards. The ECS 865PE-A for $58 looks like a good
    deal, as it uses an Intel 865 chipset.

    I don't recommend bargain boards, due to the danger of the bargain
    costing you more money than buying a better board. Of the Asus
    Intel boards listed on the web page above, the P4P800-VM is good, as
    is the P4S800D-E, both are close to $100. (Good meaning users don't
    seem to have trouble when setting them up.) There are cheaper boards,
    but few postings in Google to reach a judgement as to how good they
    are.

    A really cheap board has no voltage adjustments, or the ability to
    set memory timings. The BIOS is virtually useless for setting up the
    board. Adjustments are handy for getting the thing running. For a
    company building 10 to 100 identical systems, they can afford to
    experiment getting the first cheap board running, by trying
    different components in it until it works. For an end user
    building a single system, the cost savings rapidly evaporate, if
    you have to return components, because you couldn't use adjustments
    on the motherboard to get them working.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Ernest Siu

    PJx Guest

    My chipset choice would be based on whether I'm upgrading a working
    system or not. If my old system is VIA based then I want to stick
    with a new VIA chipset so that Win2k will work.

    PJx, Aug 14, 2004