    I'm thinking of a CPU upgrade for my Dim8300. It's a long story...but I'd
    like to know what socket is present and what CPUs are supported?

    William

    William R. Walsh, Nov 15, 2007

  2. William R. Walsh

    S.Lewis Guest

    Socket 478 P4 with 800mhz FSB. I'd suggest that you stay with a Northwood
    CPU (512kb L2 cache) and not go to a Prescott chip (1mb cache). More heat
    and generally poorer performance. I've owned 8300's with both the 3.0 and
    3.2Ghz Northwoods and they both perform admirably:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/specs.htm

    S.Lewis, Nov 15, 2007