    i discovered that some of my sparc10s are MPs, and as such can use
    32meg ram sticks. what else is different, and where does the
    difference lie?

    arthur wouk, Feb 7, 2005

  2. arthur wouk

    Claus Dragon Guest

    32MB ram chips can be used if the OBP is high enough. It doe snot have
    anything to do whether they are multi-processor machines or not (in my
    experience).

    If the OBP is high enough (2.25):

    - 32MB RAM
    - better CD-ROM support
    - better CPU support

    Claus Dragon, Feb 7, 2005

  3. arthur wouk

    arthur wouk Guest

    :
    :>i discovered that some of my sparc10s are MPs, and as such can use
    :>32meg ram sticks. what else is different, and where does the
    :>difference lie?
    :
    :32MB ram chips can be used if the OBP is high enough. It doe snot have
    :anything to do whether they are multi-processor machines or not (in my
    :experience).
    :
    :If the OBP is high enough (2.25):
    :
    :- 32MB RAM
    :- better CD-ROM support
    :- better CPU support

    that is not what memconf says.

    arthur wouk, Feb 7, 2005
  4. arthur wouk

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Words to the wise, (arthur wouk) wrote:

    Indeed?

    Well, then perhaps MP adds the capability to use 32MB ram. I
    dinstinctly remember testing 32MB ram chips with OBP 2.12 and with
    2.25.

    Claus Dragon, Feb 7, 2005
  5. arthur wouk

    Sunny Guest

    The only difference is the number of processors installed, i.e. if you
    add a CPU to a single processor machine, it is now MP - all SS10s have
    two MBUS slots. You can use 64MB ram modules in any SS10, but there's no
    mention of 32MB modules here:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SS10/CPU_Station_10.html

    Sunny

    Sunny, Feb 8, 2005
  6. arthur wouk

    Claus Dragon Guest

    You need a OBP to even run the hypersparc CPUs which will quite likely
    include the support I described.

    Claus

    Claus Dragon, Feb 8, 2005
  7. arthur wouk

    arthur wouk Guest

    :
    :arthur wouk wrote:
    :
    :> i discovered that some of my sparc10s are MPs, and as such can use
    :> 32meg ram sticks. what else is different, and where does the
    :> difference lie?
    :
    :The only difference is the number of processors installed, i.e. if you
    :add a CPU to a single processor machine, it is now MP - all SS10s have
    :two MBUS slots. You can use 64MB ram modules in any SS10, but there's no
    :mention of 32MB modules here:
    :
    :http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SS10/CPU_Station_10.html
    :
    :Sunny

    well, i am not sure that the handbook is up to date. i am running
    32meg ram sticks (lifted from an ultra-1 after i upgraded the memory)
    in a recently gifted sparc10 with dual ross hypersparc 125mhz cpus.
    work just fine.

    since there seems to be some confusion on the subject, i will run
    tests on single processor sparc10s with rom revision 2.25. see if that
    is the key.

    what memconf said is that both MP and SX models could use the 32s.

    arthur wouk, Feb 8, 2005