What do u think of water cooling ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Steph, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Steph

    Steph Guest

    Hi there !

    I have a problem with my Barton 2500+
    I bought it together with an A7V8X-X and I asked the reseller to install the
    cpu+fan on the mobo, thinking they know better than me how to do it...
    Well, using it with any software my system used to freeze randomly...
    So, after some advice I got on this newsgroup, I checked the temperature...
    Asus Probe reported high temp from 70C idle to >85C under load !!
    I underclocked it at 1467 MHz (133*11) and now it does not crash anymore but
    the temp is still between 64 to 70C under load :(
    1) Is the cpu still in "danger" and should I underclock it to, say, 1100 MHz
    (100*11) ?
    2) I'm thinking of using water cooling to reduce the temp and the noise,
    what do you think of it ?
    3) I don't have any case fan, is it mandatory for such a cpu?
    4) How can I check if the heatsink is well installed on the cpu?

    Thanx in advance ;-)
    Stef

    Steph, Mar 6, 2004

  2. Steph

    Andrew Guest

    That is very high, mine is around 40 at idle and 50 under load.
    I don't know about mandatory, but in your case would be a good thing
    to look into. You should also state what the mobo and room
    temperatures are.

    Andrew, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Steph

    DaveW Guest

    You need case fans with that setup!

    DaveW, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Steph

    Blaedmon Guest

    I presume youve used a good quality heatsink with some type of thermal
    grease or something? Such a little thing makes a big difference in my
    experience. As for case fans, its always a good idea to get airflow going in
    there, especially with anything amd ;)
    You're not overclocking are you? You mobo is great for it, but relies on the
    cpu to allow decent oc's - you could always try a 2500+xp-m (mobile) which
    is built for laptops and being default voltage 1.4v - excellent for oc'ing
    on your mobo.

    Blaedmon, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Looks definitely too high.
    That temperature should be ok for the cpu, in fact silent setups usually
    aim to achieve about such temperatures.
    A bit overkill maybe? It should be possible to cool a (non-overclocked)
    Barton 2500+ without too much noise with a decent and still cheap hsf.
    Depends on the case and what else you have installed - with a small
    cramped case with other power-hungry devices (such as high-end
    graphic cards, multiple harddisks) the answer is probably yes, otherwise
    possibly no, you could use the case temperature as an indicator
    (probably shouldn't exceed 40 degrees or so).
    I'd take it off and reinstall it. A good way to get way too hot
    temperatures is if you forget the thermal interface material (either a
    pad or paste) ;-).

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Steph

    Darkfalz Guest

    Intel users don't have to underclock their systems to keep from crashing.
    You went AMD and payed the price.

    Darkfalz, Mar 7, 2004
  7. English is read downwards,
    Nonsense! If you use Google often to search for things, as I do, you'll
    begin to appreciate top posting. Typically, I end up ignoring long bottom
    posts, just too much hassle to get at. Read the top post and move on to the
    next. The thread history is irrelevant once you've read the first post.
    Thank God for top posters. Bottom posting has very little practical merit,
    its proponents are followers of outdated e-mail etiquette.

    Derek Hawkins, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Steph

    BigBadger Guest

    Intel users don't have to underclock their systems to keep from crashing.
    Darkfalz..you're a moron

    BigBadger, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Steph

    Andrew Guest

    Bottom posting without appropriate trimming is as bad if not worse
    than top posting. I don't bother read messages where I have to scroll
    down the page to read the first part of a resopnse.

    Andrew, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Steph

    Sept1967 Guest

    Watercooling is an extreme reaction to heat. With a properly built system,
    air cooling with quality components, is sufficient.

    Some items just became "standard' to me, with hotter CPU's. Silver thermal
    paste. A copper base/core cooler built correctly (MANY THIN fins/not larger
    thick cheap fins). A CPU shim (just to keep the heavy cooler seated
    correct).
    Case fans (at least one intake). And Build the system inside, with airflow
    in mind. Keep data cables and power cables
    out of the way. Allowing airflow to actually reach the CPU / Video card.

    You can buy better made case fans (Vantec Stealth and the likes that dont
    cost any more then generic) that dont sound like a Harrier Jump Jet. And
    better made dual fan power supplies are preferred.

    And the trurth is, AMD systems do need more air flow. So more sound, but it
    is always managable. My AMD XP 2400+ doesnt hurt my head listening to it,
    and it's in an mATX case. But only tops out at 109f under full load.
    (Enermax 365w quiet dual fan PS - 2 Vantec Stealth case fans - solid copper
    Thermalright CPU heatsink - copper CPU shim).

    Sept1967, Mar 7, 2004
  11. Steph

    Darkfalz Guest

    Nope. I have a friend with the same problem. When the weather gets hot, he
    actually has to reboot his system and underclock it or it locks up every few
    minutes. That's a poorly designed CPU with an equally poorly designed
    cooling unit.

    No such problems for any of my Intel processors. Buying AMD is a mistake.

    Darkfalz, Mar 7, 2004
  12. Steph

    Leythos Guest

    Any CPU, if not properly managed with a good heat sink will have random
    faults if not fail entirely.

    The OP needs to check the spec's for the CPU, install the required
    cooling system and then adjust the case cooling to provide an adequate
    air-flow for the CPU cooler to do it's job.

    In many cases, a small or mid tower design is just not enough room for
    proper airflow. A typical case should have a CPU FAN, a power supply
    fan, and a front and rear case fan.

    While AMD CPU's do "seem" more subject to heat related problems, a
    properly installed Heat Sink and proper airflow should be enough in
    almost every instance.

    Now, if you are running them in a room that is 90+ degrees "F", then you
    may have problems. Over-clocking is also a significant factor in
    excessive heat.

    Leythos, Mar 7, 2004
  13. Steph

    BigBadger Guest

    -
    The guy was looking for some advice to solve a cooling problem... not some
    ill founded anti AMD rant.

    Tell me...do you actually own a current AMD system???? or is your entire
    knowledge of the subject based on the 'friend' of yours???

    There are thousands of people running AMD CPU's without any heat problem
    ....just because your 'friend' and the guy starting this thread have problems
    does not make the AMD CPU a bad design. A poorly built Intel system is just
    as likely to run hot as an AMD, though admittedly the PIV does have better
    thermal management which means the CPU is less likely to become unstable.

    I build and run both AMD and Intel systems and I can say with absolute
    certainty that as long as they are properly built with decent components
    neither have any cooling problems whatsoever.

    BigBadger, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Steph

    Sept1967 Guest

    OH please...
    Your friend has a poorly designed and built, case, plus a cheap
    heatsink/cooler.

    If your support systems are crap, your PC is going to run like crap. The CPU
    has nothing to do with it.

    Sept1967, Mar 7, 2004