What do you think?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Craig Coope, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    I'm gonna be buying a new PC in a few months but having gone around the net
    I am getting confused between A64 and FX model...

    Is this PC worth buying now?

    http://maxxpc.com/maxx-computers-GG3393.html

    Is this actually FX-51?...as it doesn't say 51 here...I'm assuming it
    is....I'm just getting confused because on all the benchmarking websites I
    have been to they have both FX-51 and A64 3400+...but I'm finding both of
    these written on that website..... :eek:(( ...I am assuming it is FX-51 as it
    has dual channel memory....but I don't know a great deal about any of
    this....

    I probably won't buy this just now....I want to wait for Half Life 2...which
    should be out hopefully in April...but could someone please help on my above
    ramblings.....

    Cheers....

    Craig...

    Craig Coope, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Craig Coope

    Wes Newell Guest

    No. "Processor: Athlon 64 3400+ 800 MHz FSB" It's an Athlon 64, not
    Athlon FX. Many differences. Price diff= 3400+ about $400, FX/51 about
    $730.
    You'd didn'nt read the fine print.:)
    "The AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor is now available in our MAXX 4DV A64 3400+"
    It doesn't say it's standard, just available. Intentionally misleading?
    You be the judge.

    I don't know pricing over there, but I suspect it's priced high for what
    you get. It also has the bare minimum speed of ram, a very old NEC 1100A
    dvd burner, etc. Most of the old crap you get when you buy a prefab
    system. This is why I've never bought a prefab system. I could build a
    comparable system for probably under US$1000, including a 64bit Linux OS.
    Of course I'd have to spend a couple of hours putting it together. But at
    least I'd know it was done right. You'd be amazed at how some of these
    resellers throw the systens together.

    Wes Newell, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    Well they don't sell the FX processor anywhere on this site (it is only
    mentioned on this page)...I'm just wondering why they wrote it if it a)
    isn't on this particular PC and b) can't even be bought on its own on the
    site....
    I do understand that some of the components in the PCs may not be to a high
    standard but I have been dealing with Special Reserve for more than 10 years
    and the AMD K7 I am using now was bought from there 3 years ago so I do
    trust what I am getting....

    I think one thing that confused me was that FX uses dual channel memory
    support whereas AFAIK the A64 does not....and I was just reading the "1GB
    PC3200 Dual-Channel DDR" under the RAM spec.....but this could mean
    something else....

    Thanks for your thoughts :eek:)

    Craig....

    Craig Coope, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Craig Coope

    Species Guest

    The Athlon64 3200+ is much better value for money than the Athlon64 3400+

    Species, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Craig Coope

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:55:33 +0000, Craig Coope wrote:

    If your news provider doesn't have alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 listed,
    ask him to add it for you.
    The other difference is that the FX uses socket 940. Totally different MB.
    IOW's this system can't be upgraded to an FX without changing the MB out.
    You'd have to ask them why they said it was upgradable.
    It only means they are trying to deceive people, or they don't know what
    they're doing.

    Wes Newell, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    They don't have it :eek:( ...but ntl can't even give me a decent service with
    the ngs they have so sod them :eek:p....

    Thanks....I'm gonna wait for a couple of months and see what happens....I
    know that they don't actually have any of these PCs in stock anyway right
    now. They do build them themselves and sell them. They actually had the A64
    on a month ago but then got rid of them...now they are back....I have been
    reading about the sockets...ie 940 will become 939 in a month or so and yet
    A64 3xxx+ are using 754...I don't want to get stuck with something I can't
    upgrade it I feel the need too...

    Just one last question.....is the FX-51 ever talked about with a processor
    speed?...or does it not work that way? I just have never it anywhere in the
    spec.

    Thanks again...

    Craig....

    Craig Coope, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Craig Coope

    Wes Newell Guest

    Ask them to add it. But check again before asking. It may be there by the
    time you read this.
    The FX series is mutliplier unlocked. The default speed of the FX/51 is
    2.2GHz. The FX/53 will be 2.4Ghz, which would be about equal to a 350MHz
    jump in the P4.

    Wes Newell, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    I have already emailed and asked for it to be added...They will look into it
    on Wednesday but say that if they can't find it on certain other servers ie
    google groups they may not add it...but it is worth a try...or maybe it will
    be on google b4 wed....
    Cheers for that...I have also left a post on the forum for that site that is
    selling the PC and a memeber of staff said that they will look into it on
    Monday and let me know what the crack is.....

    Craig...

    Craig Coope, Feb 29, 2004
  9. Craig Coope

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, it's now (within the last hour) listed at isc.org. That's the list
    my provider checks. And it may also be listed at many other places. The
    was a flaw in the initial control message that caused a lot of servers not
    to pick it up. Just found it today and resubmitted a new control nessage.

    Wes Newell, Feb 29, 2004
  10. Craig Coope

    rstlne Guest

    They don't have it :eek:( ...but ntl can't even give me a decent service with
    Actually it should be added today sometime (ntl)

    rstlne, Mar 3, 2004
  11. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    Just incase you are interested...They didn't know what they were doing. I
    contacted the site via their forum and asked them about it...They have since
    told me that they ballsed up and have changed the site so it doesn't say FX
    anywhere because of me....also they changed the "dual-channel" RAM to
    "Ultra-Fast" which I had to laugh at :eek:p

    Craig....

    Craig Coope, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Craig Coope

    Craig Coope Guest

    I asked them to aswell...but it still isn't on Google Groups yet so ntl may
    decide to wait until it appears......

    Craig....

    Craig Coope, Mar 3, 2004
  13. Craig Coope

    Wes Newell Guest

    Since it's fairly new, I'd expect screwups like this all over. Them fixing
    it shows some integrity. There will probably be places that will never
    give the right info.

    Wes Newell, Mar 4, 2004