    them?

    The ones I've seen are serial, but the laptops we are using don't have
    serial ports, so I need USB. I assume they are available.

    Al Dykes, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Al Dykes

    Arno Wagner Guest

    You should look at your next elecronics parts supplier.
    Depending on where you live, this will be different.
    Farnell (pretty innternational) has one for about 550CHF
    (~ 350 EUR/550USD). Distrelec (www.distrelec.ch) starts
    at around 185 CHF ( ~ 120EUR/185 USD) for a serial+USB
    reader (Touch65-Pro). I doubt you can get much cheaper
    than the last one.
    You do not need USB. An USB-to-serial adapter will give you serial
    over USB with a serial driver interface on the software side.
    For Linux usage, I have made good experiuence with adapters based
    on the PL2303 chip, see here

    http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=12

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Aug 31, 2008

  3. Al Dykes

    Bob Eager Guest

    I bought a couple of CueCats on eBay for $10 each. These were the
    ill-fated 'free' hardware that ended up in a lot of scandal about covert
    data collection. Their output is scrambled, but in a trivial way. You
    can either fix the hardware, or descramble in software.

    They work on a PS/2 port, in between keyboard and PC. That's if your
    laptops have PS/2 ports..

    Bob Eager, Aug 31, 2008