    incompatible?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jimbo, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Jimbo

    Steve Guest

    I haven't seen that written for a few years.
    Motorola 6800 family - and all the product that followed on,
    and Intel 8080 family, and all the product that followed on,
    mostly from other companies (eg Z80 compatibles).
    No, and in any case it is not really such a useful statement
    for the manufacturer to make - you need to check the timing
    of the LCD against the signals you will be providing in
    your application, anyway. I think you will find any micro
    these days will need some interface circuitry (atleast gates)
    to talk to a display, unless you use I/O port pins for
    communication. Hope this helps.

    Steve
    http://www.airborn.com.au

    Steve, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Nothing but marketing hype. The same as Intel engraving "Designed for M$
    Windoze" on it's processors.

    Vadim

    Vadim Borshchev, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Jimbo

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    There is a difference in the bus philosophy: Intel has separate read and
    write strobes, Motorola has a read/write select bit and a single strobe
    (initially called 'enable' on m6800).

    The strobes can be converted (within timing specs) from one bus philosophy
    to the other with a couple of simple gates.

    The byte order of multi-byte numbers is also different: Motorola has most
    significant byte in lowest address ('Big-endian'), and Intel has least
    significant byte in lowest address ('Little-endian').

    HTH

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio @ iki fi

    Tauno Voipio, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Thank you everyone for your responses thus far. They've been
    enlightening.

    I don't mean to kill the thread with this post. If more folks have
    more to say on this topic, please do!

    Thanks again,
    Jim

    Jimbo, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Some Moto micros have a configuration thing that
    allows selection of which way to operate the pins.
    The latter much to the regret of some of us...

    Everett M. Greene, Aug 28, 2003