    What does the NVidia Optimization Wizard do and what is an ICC
    Profile? It wants to replace my ICC file - what is it/

    -pw

    PW, Feb 22, 2007

  2. PW

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    PW wrote:

    From color.org's FAQ

    Q. What is an ICC profile?

    A. ICC profiles help you to get the correct colour reproduction when you
    input images from a scanner or camera and display them on a monitor or
    print them. They define the relationship between the digital counts your
    device receives or transmits and a standard colour space defined by ICC
    and based on a measurement system defined internationally by CIE. Thus,
    if you have a profile for each of your scanner, camera, display and
    printer, the fact that they refer to a standard colour space lets you
    combine them so that you obtain the correct colour as you get images
    from the scanner or camera and print or display them.

    An ICC profile is one that conforms to the ICC specification. By
    conforming to this specification profiles may be exchanged and correctly
    interpreted by other users. The two main types of profiles are source
    (input) and destination (output) profiles and essentially consist of
    tables of data that relate the device co-ordinates to those of the
    standard colour space defined by ICC. There are various relationships
    defined in each profile (known as rendering intents – see a later
    question). Special types of profiles (devicelink, and abstract) are
    defined for special workflow applications.

    Mr.E Solved!, Feb 22, 2007

  3. PW

    PW Guest

    Got me. I don't know if I shoud care or not. Have you run the
    optimization wizard?

    PW, Feb 22, 2007
  4. PW

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Yes, if only to have a color profile available whenever one is asked
    for, due to monitor driver install or some other reason.

    It can help the appearance of your display if it's used properly. For
    example, color ramping is truer as gamma increases when you balance RGB.

    You don't need the Wizard to create or modify a profile, and you likely
    don't need a profile unless you are planning on image acquisitioning.
    But certain games have poorly lit textures, and OpenGL games have weird
    gamma issues, so a profile is just another tool in the 'adjust the
    display-box' box.

    Mr.E Solved!, Feb 23, 2007
  5. PW

    PW Guest