    wondering how I'd set about installing the 32-bit Business version if needs
    be (driver issues and so forth). I have a legit Business licence key from
    Dell.

    Wee Jinty Hopper, Mar 15, 2009

  2. Wee Jinty Hopper

    Fixer Guest

    Legally you can't do it as the Business version is not for your XPS, cant
    see why you'd want to installl the business version if you got home premium

    Fixer, Mar 15, 2009

  3. Hi!
    That is correct. However, if you do not enter a product key, you
    cannot legally continue to use Windows. The Activation process is what
    will stop you.
    In that case, you'd need 32-bit installation media, probably of the
    OEM type. (I am not sure if Microsoft still delivers separate discs
    for OEM as compared to retail copies or not.)

    Were you to switch editions of Vista, you'd have to back up your data,
    erase your hard drive and then install the new edition of Vista. You
    can't install a 32-bit version of Windows over a 64-bit version, nor
    can you do the opposite. (It is possible to install both versions on
    separate hard drives or partitions within the same drive.)

    If Dell provided your system with the 64-bit version of Vista, you
    should not have any driver problems unless you install expansion cards
    in the system itself. Many USB devices use drivers built in to
    Windows.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 16, 2009