    cards so why is ATI? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal compound.
    Here's a pic of it I found on the web.

    http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/images/20050329151909_21527.jpg

    Fisher, Jul 13, 2005

  2. It does, indeed, look like some kind of thermal interface material. But
    what's the use of that if there's no heatsink to transfer the heat to?

    You can always pull it off carefully to see what kind of chip is underneath
    it. Afterwards you can always attach a heatsink using Arctic Silver Thermal
    Adhesive or something like that.

    =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

    Brian Dickens, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Fisher

    Spud Guest

    The chip is the rialto bridge which is used to convert ,what is in essence,
    a PCE express video card to an AGP card. the pink stuff is used as a type of
    heatsink - do not remove it - you will invalidate your warranty and
    potentially have heat issues.

    I belive that all AGP type X800xl cards have this pink stuff - my Powercolor
    one does.

    Spud, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Fisher

    Fisher Guest

    Kind of a flaky heatsink. I can see this stuff deteriorating over
    time. I would rather have seen them put something more robust there,
    you know, something made out of metal. It looks like a layer of bubble
    gum. :)

    Fisher, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Fisher

    Raptor Guest

    It's a pad to protect the chip and transistors. It should'nt be removed
    and is not a fabric heat sink.

    Raptor, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Fisher

    farmuse Guest

    it is bubblegum, sniff it

    farmuse, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Fisher

    farmuse Guest

    thin and light ? for those leaky days ?

    farmuse, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Fisher

    First of One Guest

    The pad is for protection, necessary because the bridge chip is exposed on
    the back of the card. Think AthlonXP CPU shim.

    First of One, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Fisher

    Fisher Guest

    Now that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

    Fisher, Jul 16, 2005
  10. Fisher

    Shawk Guest

    Hoping to pick up an X800XL next month, have a 9800Pro currently. What do
    you think of the card? I'm asking because the 6800GT has now come down to
    the same price and though I've been ATI for many years friends rave about
    their GT.

    Shawk, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Fisher

    Fisher Guest

    Well, I haven't done any numbering benchmarking but I can tell it's
    faster than my 9800pro was of course but it's not an amazingly amount
    faster. Lots of web benchamarks show it on par with the 6800GT, it
    wins some, it loses some. I didn't get the 6800GT because I read of
    driver issues with some of the games I play. I like it but like all
    newer vid cards I think it's overpriced for what you actually get.

    Fisher, Jul 17, 2005
  12. Fisher

    Shawk Guest

    Thanks for that - appreciate it.