What graphics can I put on a PA-2013

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Pete, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I posted the following on a video group. Someone suggested I post it
    on here incase someone can advise me on the capabilities of my
    motherboard .......

    I have an old PC which my son would like to use for games, but the
    video isn't up to it. How can I tell if I can add a video card to it?
    Despite being a software techie of many years standing, not being a
    games or CAD person I've never bothered to look into graphics.

    It has an Sis 6326 (see below) which a google seach tells me is an AGP
    video card. If this is correct, presumably I can swap this out for one
    with more memory. After a very little research into cards, I was
    looking at GeForce4 (64Mb) on eBay, as I don't want to spend much on
    adding to an old m/c.

    Here's the Belarac analysis of the machine:

    Operating System: Windows 98
    System Model : (built buy a shop for me)

    Processor : 500 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    Main Circuit : First International Computer, Inc. PA-2013 PCB 2.X
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG
    03/21/00

    Memory : 2 x 128 Mb memory in sep slots, with 2 spare

    Controllers : floppy, primary & secondary IDE
    VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

    Display : SiS 6326 [Display adapter]
    Plug and Play Monitor

    Multimedia : Creative Gameport Joystick
    Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
    Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 Legacy Device
    Wave Device for Voice Modem

    Any advice welcomed!

    Thanks

    Pete Jones

    Pete, Nov 25, 2003

  2. I currently have a Geforce4 MX 420 (64 MB, AGP) running in a VA-503A,
    which is more or less a Baby-AT sibling of the PA-2013, and it runs with
    no problems.

    I am pretty sure I have one of the last revisions of the VA-503A, and it
    sounds like you have one of the last revisions of the PA-2013. The reason
    that I bring this up is that earlier revisions had trouble running some
    AGP cards due to voltage requirements.

    Our motherboards support AGP 1.0, which means they support AGP 1x/2x with
    a voltage of 3.3 V. This is something you will need to watch out for.
    Some of the newer AGP 8x cards will support this old AGP standard, but
    others will not. Take a look at the manufacturer's website if you are in
    doubt. Any graphics card that maxes out at AGP 4x should be OK, though.

    For an AMD K6-2 500, I would probably suggest something like a Geforce4 MX
    or a Radeon 7500. Actually, even these cards may be overkill, but you can
    get them relatively cheaply, so why not?

    By the way, one unexpected plus I found with my MX 420 is the DVD
    playback. Even with a lowly K6-3 350, I get beautiful full-screen
    playback at 1024x768 with PowerDVD 4. ATI cards were always known for
    this, and apparently, the Geforce4 MX series has a pretty significant DVD
    boost, too.

    Hope this helps.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Pete

    Kyle Brant Guest

    the 2013 had problems with the AGP slot and a weak voltage regulator
    for AGP power. Be careful, search google groups for more info.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Alternatively, you could look into a PCI card if the AGP voltage regulator
    is of concern. TigerDirect is currently selling the Visiontek Radeon 9100
    64 MB PCI for $30 after rebate, and the 128 MB version for $20 more.
    Functionally, this card is equivalent to the Radeon 8500LE, so it supports
    up to DirectX 8.1 in hardware.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Pete

    farmuse Guest

    good suggestions, especially if you can get it cheap. for any games
    made within the past year or so your son is going to need a much more
    powerful computer, been there and now my son is using an athlon XP 1600+,
    which is adequate for most gaming. Can run Star Wars Galaxy, for example.
    512 MB, and a GeForce 3 64 MB card. He has a Radeon 9800 coming for
    Christmas. Anyway, for bargain bin games, a good Radeon 9000 or so should
    run just fine, even if PCI ~

    farmuse, Nov 29, 2003