    be much bigger.

    What happened?

    -AH

    Andrew Hamilton, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Andrew Hamilton

    Paul Guest

    Some ISPs have discontinued their USENET service.

    So some of the traffic has moved to private forums.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cuomo

    On June 10, 2008, Cuomo, then New York Attorney General, announced
    that three major Internet service providers (Verizon Communications,
    Time Warner Cable, and Sprint) would "shut down major sources of online
    child pornography" by no longer hosting many Usenet groups. Time Warner
    Cable ceased offering Usenet altogether, Sprint no longer provides access
    to the alt.* hierarchy, and Verizon limiting its Usenet offerings to the
    Big 8. The moves came after Cuomo's office located 88 different newsgroups
    that contained child pornography. Barry Steinhardt, director of the American
    Civil Liberties Union's technology and liberty program, compared the action
    to "taking a sledgehammer to an ant."

    AT&T just recently shut down theirs as well.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 17, 2009

  3. Andrew Hamilton

    Skipai Otter Guest

    Ah, America where they don't do logic. Seriously, why not just offer a text
    only usenet server that would reject any binary files to be uploaded to said
    server? It'll sort out the problem than shutting it off completely but not
    really that surprised. Could go "Boo!" now and some would over-react. ;)

    Skipai Otter, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Andrew Hamilton

    geoff Guest

    Ah, America where they don't do logic. Seriously, why not just offer a
    Because it would make sense . . .

    --g

    geoff, Jun 19, 2009
  5. Andrew Hamilton

    geoff Guest

    Some ISPs have discontinued their USENET service.
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Time Warner
    Sprint
    RoadRunner

    .. . . they have cut their usenet service and tell people to use other
    companies but if traffic keeps declining, I assume the usenet companies will
    close also.

    In the early 80s, one dialed into bulletin boards, years later, places like
    Compuserve came online, they declined as usenet became popular. With the
    current usenet trend, it is back to bulletin boards, eventually.

    Same with phones, first, pay as you go traditional phone service, then
    digital phone, unlimited calling for a flat fee, then T-W wanted to start
    imposing pretty low bandwidth caps which included phone usage (phone use
    would be included in your byte count). That was nixed but I'm sure they'll
    try again and at that point, digital or traditonal phone will probably cost
    the same unless you never make many calls.

    What goes around, comes around, still holds true today.

    --g

    geoff, Jun 19, 2009