    reasonably fast.

    Thanks in advance,

    BS

    B. Schneier, Dec 15, 2007

  2. B. Schneier

    Jan Alter Guest

    HP printers have a good reputation for giving high quality text. Color
    printing should be good as well. If ink cost is not the critical factor and
    the very best photo printing of that import then you may be very satisfied.

    Jan Alter, Dec 15, 2007

  3. B. Schneier

    measekite Guest

    For text printing:

    HP Deskjets for all around color printing
    Some brand of color Laser - HP may not be the best here.  Look at Okidata

    B. Schneier wrote: Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is reasonably fast.

    Thanks in advance,

    BS

    measekite, Dec 15, 2007
  4. The Canon iP4500 inkjet printer does a remarkably good job printing
    text with its 2nd black pigment cartridge that is committed to that
    task alone. It's also pretty fast. Cost is about $120, but additional
    ink cartridges are expensive, indeed, and need changing frequently.

    But if I did a LOT of text printing with some color illustrations, I
    think I'd agree with Measekite and look at the Okidata printers,
    especially the 6100n that is now discounted by some sellers to about
    $600 (from almost $900). It's built like a tank, won't require
    replacing the toner anywhere near as often as an inkjet printer, and
    will last years longer than the Canon inkjet that will last 2-4 years,
    tops.

    Good luck with your choice.

    william.pease, Dec 15, 2007
  5. B. Schneier

    kony Guest

    Define reasonably fast. It's fairly inherant in ink jet
    tech that if printing decent quality (not quick draft mode)
    color brochures or internet "stuff", it'll be slow.

    Unless you have a need to print very high quality color
    photos, I suggest a median volume / quality / price, color
    laser printer. When printing something like a brochure, use
    semi-glossy coated paper (for lasers, it need not be an
    absorbent coating on the paper like with inkjet paper, and
    very high gloss inkjet paper cannot be used but you wouldn't
    want to use it as that would be the opposite problem of
    uncoated paper, being too glossy in light areas.

    Laser picture output quality varies, read a few reviews of
    models you might consider.

    kony, Dec 15, 2007
  6. B. Schneier

    DanG Guest

    "Fast" and "quality" do not always quarter in comfort.

    Almost any inkjet is capable of excellent quality text with the right paper,
    and almost any high-quality printer is capable of producing crappy text with
    the wrong paper.

    The latest Canon models, IP4500 being the cheapest, have a larger head and
    are capable of speed and quality. They will use either dye or pigment black
    depending your paper settings. (IP3500 has only pigment black and text
    quality will suffer using high-res paper settings). The caveat being that
    you need to select appropriate paper, and off-the-shelf 20# paper isn't it.

    DanG, Dec 15, 2007
  7. B. Schneier

    kony Guest

    Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
    high-volume use paper for inkjet?

    One of the benefits of a laser is that just about anything
    you shove into it (besides very glossy paper the toner just
    won't adhere to before it's fused to the paper, or certain
    types of plastics that have a melting point too low... more
    of a problem with older lasers that ran at higher fuser
    temps than today's color lasers that use toner with more
    waxy-whatever lower melting point), prints out sharp as a
    tack. Basically it means you can buy bulk copy machine
    paper which is far less expensive than many other types.

    The other option is what many people do, use a B&W laser for
    text documents and (color) inkjet for pictures.

    kony, Dec 15, 2007
  8. B. Schneier

    Martha Adams Guest

    I think Schneier wants what he says he wants, and it could
    be productive to review what he says. I noticed this thread
    went over pretty quick to laser printers, without recognizing
    a key difference from inkjets, that laser printers, even the
    most modern ones, use a fuser step in copy printing and this
    fuser has to boost power requirements sharply. The inkjet
    has no fuser thus runs without that peak power need of the
    laser printer's fuser. Until he says something else, as far
    as I'm concerned he's asking about inkjets *for this reason*
    and so laser printers are probably off his track. Maybe
    someone could reply to him, asking, well, *could you use* a
    laser printer in your application? And if he responds 'Yes,'
    then the thread could go into laser printers. But for now I
    see no reason at all to be talking about other than inkjets.

    Cheers -- Martha Adams [comp.periphs.printers 2007 Dec 15]

    Martha Adams, Dec 16, 2007
  9. B. Schneier

    measekite Guest

    DanG wrote:

    "B. Schneier" <> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is reasonably fast. Thanks in advance, BS

    "Fast" and "quality" do not always quarter in comfort. Almost any inkjet is capable of excellent quality text with the right paper, and almost any high-quality printer is capable of producing crappy text with the wrong paper. The latest Canon models, IP4500 being the cheapest, have a larger head and are capable of speed and quality. They will use either dye or pigment black depending your paper settings. (IP3500 has only pigment black and text quality will suffer using high-res paper settings). The caveat being that you need to select appropriate paper, and off-the-shelf 20# paper isn't it.

    I own both an HP and a Canon.  The HP does a better job of business printing while the Canon prints better photos.  Beaware that many posters to this group will claim they have Canon printer or an Epson printer and some will claim they have an HP printer.  But they do not.  They do not know what kind of printer they really have.

    When you unpack a printer of a certain brand it comes with ink carts.  Thats when you have that particular brand.  Many here put who knows what crap in their printer so they no longer have the printer they purchased.

    measekite, Dec 16, 2007
  10. B. Schneier

    Shamus Blue Guest

    Pinch me; no one can possibly say anything this stupid!

    Shamus Blue, Dec 16, 2007
  11. B. Schneier

    Taliesyn Guest

    I find Canon printers give near laser results when used in conjunction
    with good quality paper. Not coated paper, just good quality paper.

    -Taliesyn

    Taliesyn, Dec 16, 2007
  12. Measekite just did.
    But then, that is what he does - to the exclusion of all else.
    Stupid does as stupid is.

    --
    Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar,
    Nicolaas.

    .... That which does not kill me, makes me stranger ... er, stronger.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 16, 2007
  13. Oh yes. Measekite is really George W. Bush.

    "Make the pie higher."

    Richard Steinfeld, Dec 16, 2007
  14. B. Schneier

    DanG Guest

    Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good choice for
    everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their own brand. None of
    the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types are worth wasting ink on.
    I've also had good results on 28# copy paper for duplexing and general
    printing.

    DanG, Dec 16, 2007
  15. B. Schneier

    CBFalconer Guest

    However, for speed they lose out to any Laser printer. An inkjet,
    printing text, can probably be driven at full speed with a 1200
    baud line (in text). Yet printing speed of 4 to 6 pages per minute
    are common, for text or graphics, with a Laser printer.

    I don't want to print any 100 page manuals on any inkjet.

    CBFalconer, Dec 16, 2007
  16. B. Schneier

    Tony Guest

    I'm not sure I know which inkjet prints the best text. Generally I am reluctant
    to recommend printers in this forum but your needs seem to be well defined.
    This is one of the fastest inkjets on the market today
    http://tinyurl.com/ytylwp
    It produces text that is of high quality, I suggest you see if you can get a
    demo page at a local dealer. It is designed for small offices with a moderately
    high printing workload.
    It uses #88 cartriidges (4 of them) which are high capacity and the extra large
    black cartridge is available, it is as fast as most entry level laser printers
    and has a cost per page that is cheaper than many lasers. The colour output is
    more than good enough for brochures and prints from the internet. It has two
    user replacable printheads that have a warranted life based on manufacturing
    dates and these usually have warranties that extend beyond the printer warranty.
    I have many satisfied customers with this printer.
    Several have recommended laser printers, if you need occasional colour prints a
    laser is likely to be too expensive to buy and the cost per page for entry
    level colour lasers is almost certainly going to be higher than for this
    printer.
    Good luck
    Tony
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Tony, Dec 16, 2007
  17. B. Schneier

    kony Guest

    OP never listed low power as an important criteria. Quite
    the opposite, the issue was speed and quality. I have to
    wonder why power seems important to you, whether you have
    dodgy site wiring or are especially green about power.
    Eithe would be a valid concern if present, but there are a
    lot of factors in a business. Getting printing done faster
    on a laser can actually save power by ending the lights and
    other site facility usage sooner.

    Why in the world would you assume this, until it had been
    expressly stated that some low power utilization was a
    factor? Thus far, that issue has been conspicously missing
    from the text.

    You have a reasonable point in that the OP did make a
    distinction here, but on the other hand, the world does
    indeed function doing the tasks described with laser
    printers. Nobody is forced to follow any advice given, but
    I can tell you from regular use, that a decent quality color
    laser printer can meet the expressed goals.

    The primary area where a decent color laser falls short, is
    short range viewing of photorealistic output. It is not as
    good as a very high quality magazine would be, but for
    brochure photos or other things less demanding, any business
    would be crazy to use inkjet printers instead. Today an
    inkjet is really only best for very low volume photo
    printing. It isn't even a low cost issue anymore unless one
    is trying to be extremely stingy about it over a short term,
    as printing color over time costs more with an inkjet unless
    you have a rare specimen of inkjet where you can get bulk
    ink reserviours with connected tubingi so the ink supply is
    vastly larger than the manufacturer intended it to be.

    Sometimes, people get conceptions and just need to hear
    alternative points of view from others who have had similar
    needs and did not need to do the same as the ideal proposed.
    I don't just print personal things with a color laser, I
    have mass volume printing and have put about half a million
    pages on every laser I've had before they were retired.
    Inkjet? It's a small niche really, someone who regularly
    prints only a small volume. That could indeed describe many
    home users, but IMO, may not describe the OP's needs.

    kony, Dec 16, 2007
  18. B. Schneier

    kony Guest

    Perhaps, but if printing on sub-optimal paper using an
    inkjet printer, then the difference in quality starts to
    diminish between it and a laser.

    With a modern color laser, the toner is semi-glossy, even
    black text, unlike old B&W lasers which had matte black
    output. Therefore, coated paper is best for photos on a
    color laser, so it is also true for inkjets, just a differnt
    type of (more costly) coating.

    I find that with generic copy machine paper on an inkjet,
    the text output is nowhere near as sharp as using same paper
    on a laser. Basically I'm suggesting that if the volume of
    text is high, there might be a justification for more than
    one printer if the color output also needs to have the very
    highest photo realistic output.

    On the other handn when viewed at a distance, a color laser
    does have fairly good output, certainly higher than what one
    would find in the typical magazine.

    kony, Dec 16, 2007
  19. B. Schneier

    kjjhga398 Guest

    I bought a HP OJ L7580 few weeks ago,
    Why it always printed 35 pages then stop even I had send more than 35
    pages to the printer.

    kjjhga398, Dec 16, 2007
  20. B. Schneier

    Jim Ford Guest

    I thought mouseshite had hit rock bottom with his inane drivel in recent
    postings, but I see he's starting to mine!

    Wipe the drool off his chin and put his straight jacket back on, someone!

    Jim Ford

    Jim Ford, Dec 16, 2007