    thers?. I am looking for cheap laptop, which is good one?. Also I
    need the some standard configuration?. I need it for power point and
    web use for internet/e-mail. Thanks in advance.

    Santa, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Santa

    Quaoar Guest

    Refurbished can mean several things: the notebook was simply returned,
    it was returned with a failed component, it was returned with a visual
    defect. In any event, the notebook is fixed if necessary and placed
    back in stock as refurbished - it performs as if new. In many
    countries, consumer goods returned to the vendor cannot be sold as "new"
    even if there are no defects since vendors have been known to claim that
    repaired goods were new. Many people purchase nothing but refurbished
    goods, figuring that if the goods are going to fail, they will fail
    within the return period - typical of electronic devices like computers.
    The goods are heavily discounted since they cannot be sold as "new" and
    people normally want "new" rather than "as good as new".

    Quaoar, Nov 8, 2004

  3. What he () said -- but note that the warranty on a
    refurb. may be shorter than on a new one.

    MB

    Minnie Bannister, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Santa

    Joe Davis Guest

    I just bought my second refurbished laptop and have had great luck with
    both. This was a Dell (have also bought a Compaq refurb). I also bought a
    new Dell of the same model a few months earlier, and can't tell any
    difference. You can upgrade the warranty just like a new one and I'd advise
    paying for the 3 year warranty AND the Complete Care (accident insurance),
    too, if you travel with it. Be sure to mentally include that extra $300 +/-
    when you're comparing models so you're not surprised with the final bill.

    Because Dell builds to order and then offer a 30-day return on their new
    machines, a lot of their refurbs are returns that have been fixed, or maybe
    had nothing wrong with them. Because you can't see Dells in stores,
    sometimes people just don't know what to expect, and don't like it when they
    get it. So they return it. Or they get the order wrong--"I wanted X and you
    sent me Y". You can usually insure that you're getting a virtually new one
    by picking one with a processor that's only been offered for a few months.
    Most Dells offer 3 or 4 processor choices for a new laptop. Look at what
    they're offering on the new models. The cheapest/slowest processor on the
    new models has probably been around for 9 to 12 months, while the fastest
    has probably only been offered a month or two.

    Another advantage to getting a refurbed Dell is that they ship immediately,
    instead of waiting a couple of weeks. I actually wanted a new one, but
    needed it sooner than they could deliver, so I got the refurb.

    Companies that sell big volumes of laptops in retail stores sometimes recall
    the old models when new ones come out, and sell the old ones as "refurbs".
    That's what my Compaq Presario was--had never been out of the box--and was a
    good value.

    Joe Davis, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Santa

    Santa Guest

    I am looking for one actually to buy, can I find it on Dell/IBM
    website for refurbished ones?. Does anybody recommends one, I thought
    I can save some money, I don't want to buy the brand new one, since it
    is very expensive. Thanks.

    Santa, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Santa

    Lisa Horton Guest

    One advantage of refurbs is that usually each unit is individually
    tested. This is not true of the main production run. This means that
    your chances of getting a DOA refurb product are practically nil.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Nov 10, 2004