What is my Inspiron 5150 BIOS version, and can I upgrade straight it to A35?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by 7palmtree, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. 7palmtree

    7palmtree Guest

    My apology for this n00b question...

    I am trying to upgrade BIOS for my Dell Inspiron 5150.
    I'd like to be advised about the followings.

    1. What is the current BIOS version of my Inspiron 5150? Is it A25? Is
    BIOS A25 made by Dell or Phoenix?
    For details, please refer to information I've gathered below.

    2. If my Inspiron 5150 does indeed use A25, am I able to upgrade it
    straight to BIOS version A35?

    While my Inspiron 5150 is booting, below the Dell logo, it displays:

    ====Start of Quote====
    Dell Inspiron 5150 Series
    BIOS version A25
    ====End of Quote====

    While the above is being displayed hitting F12 takes me to the BIOS
    setup screens The first screen displays:

    ====Start of Quote====
    Dell Computer Corporation (www.dell.com)
    Page 1of6
    Dell Inspiron 5150 Series Setup BIOS version A25
    Omitted...
    Omitted...
    Omitted...
    ********System Identification********
    Service Tag: xxxxxxxx

    Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright 1990-2003 Dell Computer Corporation and others, All Rights
    Reserved
    ====End of Quote====

    Current system info of my Dell Inspiron 5150
    Dell Inspiron 5150
    BIOS A25 (?)
    RAM 1GB
    HDD: 60GB
    Windows XP Pro - SP2

    Thank you for your kind help!

    7palmtree, Nov 13, 2005

  2. 7palmtree

    Fixer Guest

    Yes you are correct in your assumption that your current BIOS version is A25
    you can flash your BIOS to the A£% BUT do it in small stages ie 1/2 bios
    upgrades at a time or it may fail

    Fixer, Nov 13, 2005

  3. 7palmtree

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh heck, I'd just straight to A35. Why risk more than one flash. The risk
    is during the flash.

    I jumped 8 or 10 the other day on a GX240. Worked fine.

    Tom Scales, Nov 13, 2005
  4. 7palmtree

    Dan Guest

    Yes, A25 represents your Dell BIOS version. It is made by Dell. Go
    to dell.com and under "software & drivers" you will find your latest
    BIOS

    You can upgrade straight to the latest BIOS from any other BIOS, or
    even downgrade your BIOS from the latest to a previous version..

    Dan

    Dan, Nov 14, 2005
  5. 7palmtree

    Fixer Guest

    Thats not always the case Tom, sometimes you need to install specific
    flashes before it lets you install another you cant ALWAYS jump that many

    Fixer, Nov 14, 2005
  6. 7palmtree

    7palmtree Guest

    Thanks for confirming my Inspiron 5150 BIOS version *is* A25:)

    AFAIK any version prior to A23 needs upgraded to A23 first, and then to
    the latest A38. I guess I can upgrade my Inspiron 5150 BIOS *straight*
    to A35 since mine already has A25 on itself.

    Btw reading Dell Forum -> BIOS, I have found A35 is considered gold
    with the fewest bugs and offer the best functionalities for Inspiron
    5150.

    7palmtree, Nov 14, 2005
  7. 7palmtree

    Tom Scales Guest

    True, although there are usually big warnings to that effect. Haven't seen
    one like that in a long time.

    Tom Scales, Nov 14, 2005