1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

What is name of laptop power adaptor for planes sold by Radio Shack?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by firemanacab, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. firemanacab

    firemanacab Guest

    Planes have a 12-15 volt DC power outlet that takes an 'emppower' jack
    and can power laptops etc. I have seen postings saying that Radio Shack
    sells an adaptor for plugging into this empower socket, but cannot find
    in the RS website, can someone tell me the item number or link to the
    RS site for this, it is supposed to sell for around $8. I visited RS
    store but the salesman wasn't familiar with such a thing.
    firemanacab, Aug 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. firemanacab

    mrtravel Guest

    On the RS website, enter the search word "airline"
    mrtravel, Aug 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. firemanacab

    Newtokia Guest

    Xantrex XPower® Pocket Inverter 100

    $49.99 Brand: Xantrex
    Catalog #: 22-159 Model: 813-0080

    On the U.S. Radio Shack site.

    In Canada, Radio Shack seems to have been bought up by Circuit City and
    renamed 'The Source'
    Newtokia, Aug 17, 2005
  4. He's not looking for a complete inverter, only a plug adapter. And
    Radio Shack does sell one of those, for about $8.
    Barry Watzman, Aug 17, 2005
  5. firemanacab

    mrtravel Guest

    From his post, he didn't actually say he had power inverter, so I
    assumed he thought that he could buy this $8 device. and connect a
    standard laptop power supply to it.
    mrtravel, Aug 18, 2005
  6. firemanacab

    firemanacab Guest

    The laptop runs on 12volts DC so I want just the $8 device, but I
    cannot find such a device on the Radio Shack site, if anyone know the
    link or part number please post it. I did a keyword search for
    firemanacab, Aug 18, 2005
  7. WRONG!!

    Even if the laptop runs on 12 volts, you cannot just connect it to the
    "12 volt bus" of a car, boat or airplane.

    First, the "12 volt bus" is usually 13.5 to 15 volts.

    Second, it's "dirty" and will damage the laptop.

    There are two acceptable ways to run a laptop from the "12 volt"
    electrical bus of a vehicle. The first is to use a suitable auto-air
    inverter. Even though it may "nominally" have 12 volts in and 12 volts
    out, it's still filtering and regulating the power, and in all
    likelihood is a full-blown DC-to-DC converter. The second is to use a
    DC to AC (110 volt) inverter and then plug in the laptops standard AC
    wall power pack.
    Barry Watzman, Aug 18, 2005
  8. See my previous post, but I don't think that the device is offered in
    the online catalog, but such a device does -- or perhaps did -- exist, I
    have one. However I do not know the part number, and it may have been
    Barry Watzman, Aug 18, 2005
  9. firemanacab

    TNSAF Guest

    I bought one a few years back and have never been able to use it... There
    are only a limited number of wired seats and I have never successfully
    booked one on a flight. I ended up investing in an extra battery.
    TNSAF, Aug 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.