    SL7KB (Intel Pentium 4)
    Prescott / socket 478
    3.00GHZ/1M/800

    Intel Guy, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Intel Guy

    Ken Guest

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SL7KB

    Ken, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Intel lists a high temp, but not a desirable, or nominal, value. I would
    offer the advice that the CPU will be happy in the 35-45C range, and
    should operate to 65C, possibly with reduces life. Most CPUs will be
    obsolete before they "wear out," so that's probably not an issue.

    I would (personally) worry if CPU got to 50C. With standard Intel CPU
    cooling, most of my systems run ~20C over ambient. That's good in
    conditioned operating environments, if you have to run a system
    somewhere HOT, it will take a lot more effort. Running in a hostile
    environment (industrial control in Saudi Arabia) with 160F ambient,
    liquid or Peltier coolers are a must.

    Bill Davidsen, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Intel Guy

    Intel Guy Guest

    I have that CPU in a Gigabyte motherboard with a Zalman heatsink/fan.
    The heatsink/fan is circa 2004, but it's a "large" version (I have
    some smaller ones of the same type). It's a combination
    aluminum/copper fin heatsink (not the totally copper version). It's
    the absolute largest such Zalman unit that will fit on the
    motherboard.

    For now, I have the fan plugged directly into the motherboard CPU fan
    socket (not using the variable speed control unit that comes with the
    heatsink/fan). I have disabled "intelligent" fan speed control in the
    bios (so I'm assuming the fan is running at full speed).

    I'd have to check, but with the case open (cpu oriented horizontally)
    and with the computer idling in DOS (not windows) I think I'm seeing
    temperatures into the 60's (C). I set the BIOS to alert at CPU temp
    at 60 (and got a few quacks from the speaker after a while) so I set
    the alarm to 70. No over-clocking or over-voltage that I'm aware of.

    Am I doing something wrong, or is a 60 - 70 C temperature "normal" for
    this type of CPU ? Or is the stock Intel heatsink/fan better than the
    Zalman?

    Intel Guy, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Intel Guy

    Compfix Guest

    I have a 3.0ghz Prescott in an 865PERL here and am getting 40ish at idle and
    it can go as high as 60 when working hard. An identical machine but with a
    3.0ghz Northwood idles at about 9-10 degrees cooler. The machines are not
    overclocked and are mainly used for Office type activity, with the
    occasional game session. I am using the stock retail heatsinks and fans but
    with Arctic silver compound.

    Compfix, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Intel Guy

    Intel Guy Guest

    Update:

    Heatsink: Zalman CNPS7700
    Motherboard: GigaByte 8KNXP (flashed to Sept 2005 version)
    CPU: 3.00Ghz/1M/800
    SL7KB MALAY / L433B277 / M439C022 / 0217

    Tech reviews for the Zalman indicate that with a similar (or even
    faster) CPU that idle temps are in the 40's and when under load the
    temps get into the mid to high 50's.

    After 45 minutes sitting in the bios "PC Health Status" screen, CPU
    temp is between 58 and 60C. Fan is running at a constant 1800 rpm
    (+/- 15). Ambient room temp is between 18 and 20 C. System is in a
    typical desktop case, case is sitting on it's side with side panels
    removed. No chasis fans installed, no drives installed in case.
    Zalman power supply.

    I shut the system down, removed the heatsink/fan and cleaned up the
    CPU and heatsink (with paint thinner).

    Re-applied the heatsink, but used this compound (this is old stuff, at
    least 4 or 5 years old):

    http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=STSI_4/PROD/CPUHeatSinksFans/251

    which according to the label:

    Thermal conductivity: .226 Btu per (foot x hour x F) or 0.0009 Cal per
    (sec x cm x C)

    Those two numbers equate to each other according to this:

    http://www.conversiontables.info/

    when plugging in .226 / 3600 into Btu/(ft·s·oF).

    The STSI web site adds this spec: 0.765Wm-1°C-1 but I think that's
    wrong (should be 0.39115 ?)

    Ok, so I power the system up and go to the Bios Health Status screen
    as fast as I can (about 15 seconds). CPU temp is already 55C and
    climbs to 64C within the first minute (fan RPM = 1835). After 2
    hours, CPU is back down to 60C (fan is back to 1795/1814).

    This sucks.

    I don't understand how others are getting 40C at idle - like here:

    http://www.atruereview.com/zalman_cnps7700cu/cpu_cooler.php

    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/zalman-cnps7700alcu/index.x?pg=7

    WTF ????

    Intel Guy, Jan 15, 2007
  7. By my book you're doing something wrong. Cases are designed to pull air
    through and no run with the sides off. Mine typically run 5-15C hotter
    with the sides off, depending on CPU. I always run my fan on the smart
    fan plug, unless your isn't working it will give the same max cooling at
    lower noise and longer fan life under light load.

    I would try with the sides on first, then pull the fan, clean, apply
    just a touch of head sink paste and reinstall. That sounds like a very
    hot CPU.

    Bill Davidsen, Jan 15, 2007