    HDMI interface on a Dell docking station and I'm wondering what test I can
    do to prove the advantage of HDMI over the analog port.

    Thanks in advance

    Mgr bob, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Mgr bob

    Ben Myers Guest

    My experience with HDMI or DVI versus analog is that an LCD screen is always
    clearer and more crisp. I certainly notice the difference when I changed this
    LCD from analog to DVI output from the graphics card.

    Depending on resolution with an analog connection, the monitor is forced to
    interpolate scan lines, which then get doubled up occasionally and look a little
    bit blocky or out of shape.

    The best test is an eye test... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Display a pattern of vertical lines, alternating black and white, each
    line exactly one single pixel wide.

    This display test program will generate such a pattern:
    www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000030936

    Barry Watzman, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Mgr bob

    Tom Scales Guest

    That has been my experience too, EXCEPT in the case of Samsung. I don't
    know how they do it, but I have a number of Samsung LCD TVs and VGA looks
    just as crisp.

    Oh, and by the way, your docking station doesn't have HDMI, it has DVI.
    HDMI looks like a larger USB connector. DVI is white and looks like a
    larger VGA connector. You can convert from DVI to HDMI, but DVI doesn't
    include audio and HDMI does.

    Tom Scales, Feb 9, 2007