What is the best ASUS Mainboard?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Daniel Mandic, Sep 3, 2010.

  1.
    Daniel Mandic, Sep 3, 2010

  2. The green one.

    Gettamulla Tupya, Sep 3, 2010

  3. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    Avoid Asus. Their engineering has started to suck pretty
    badly in the last few years. Warranty replacements take
    6-8 weeks. Prices are far to high for what thir products
    offer. My last Mainboard is a Gigabyte MA770-UD3, and
    I found that performance is similar to Asus, especially
    thermal design is far superiour, there are significantly
    less BIOS issues and the price is significantly lower.

    I guess Asus has stopped caring about quality and customer
    service the moment they were recognized as a "quality"
    vendor.

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 4, 2010
  4. Daniel Mandic

    GMAN Guest

    It took me all of 7 days to get back a P4P800 Deluxe replaced under warranty a
    year or so back.

    .. Prices are far to high for what thir products

    GMAN, Oct 4, 2010
  5. Daniel Mandic

    daytripper Guest

    meh.

    I'm writing this on a system I just finished building last week - Core i7
    Extreme x980, 6GB of XMP DDR3 running PC2000, Gigabyte/ATI 5970, Sata 3 SSD,
    VelociRaptor Raid0 and Raid1 sets, and a pair of Caviar Blue 1TB drives - all
    on an ASUS P6X58D Premium in a really nice aluminum full tower case. It's a
    fine board, loaded with features, and it came up perfectly. Platform scores
    7.9 on Win7 Ultimate - without overclocking anything.

    And I'm nearly done building it's smaller sibling - Core i5 760, 4GB of XMP @
    PC2000, Gigabyte/ATI 5830, VelociRaptor Raid0 and a couple of Caviar Blues
    for user data and backups - on an ASUS P7P55D-E LX. A decent board for lower
    budgets - it cost around half the price of its big brother's motherboard - and
    bounded requirements (only has one x16 slot). It was a perfect fit for this
    build.

    Both boards got fresh bios updates without a hitch, and both builds were cake.

    I've been building systems based on ASUS motherboards since the 486 was
    bleeding edge, with a single exception where I used a SuperMicro board (no
    issues with that one, either). I don't see that changing.

    For the record, I've never - ever - had to RMA an ASUS board. That speaks to
    the reliability I've experienced - but also indicates I don't have any
    experience with the RMA process...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Oct 5, 2010
  6. I started using Asus boards while living in Taiwan during the early
    1990s, as the locals told me that they were the best. I've been using
    nothing else ever since, and the only problem was a chipset fan on an
    A8N-E that died after a couple of years, but Asus sent me a replacement fan.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Oct 5, 2010
  7. Daniel Mandic

    Puddin' Man Guest

    What do I know? I've built only 1 system based on an Asus board.

    But it was in the last 3 months, and I am very dissatisfied with Asus hardware,
    software (i.e. drivers), and especially support. There is some 'truth' in
    what Arno says.

    Still, I won't dump on Asus blindly.

    Bottom line:
    "Don't buy *any* board based only on it's brand name!"

    Spec 'em out to hell-and-gone, ask around extensively, consider and reconsider
    your likely usage, etc, etc. It could save you a lot of grief.

    Puddin' Man, Oct 5, 2010
  8. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    Then the shop you bought it from replaced it directly. For
    2 (of 3 Asus boards I had to RMA in the last 2 years) it took
    6 and 8 weeks. For a Graphics card it took 4 weks and 6
    weeks when it died the second time.

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 5, 2010
  9. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    I agree on that.
    Indeed. And don't by a board that is fresh on the market. Give
    it at least 2 months for others to write about problems.

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 5, 2010
  10. Daniel Mandic

    GMAN Guest

    Quit ASSuming you know everything. I mailed it directly to ASUS!!!!

    GMAN, Oct 5, 2010
  11. Daniel Mandic

    Captainbob

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    I recently did lots of research on motherboards for a new build and here are my thoughts on ASUS.

    Like anything, there are pros and cons. I know someone who recently bought an ASUS product and it has worked flawlessly. I have read reviews all over the net where some have had problems. Overall, ASUS seems to make good products. My ASUS stuff is all old (5-10 years old) and it has worked excellent for those years.

    There are 2 ways to go on the best ASUS motherboard that is currently available. Money is no object and best bang for the buck. If money is no object, then for me with ASUS it would be a toss up between the ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer "Ultimate Gamer" (currently $449.99 on Newegg) or the ASUS Rampage III Extreme (currently $369.99 on Newegg). The Supercomputer has 4 PCIe x 16 lanes, 7 PCIe slots total, really cool. However, no USB 3.0 or sata III. I suppose you could buy a USB 3.0/sata III add on card if you really wanted it, plenty of full x16 PCIe lanes for full bandwidth on everything, depending on how many graphics cards in SLI you wanted to have. The Rampage III has USB 3.0 and sata III, but I believe it only has 2 full x16 PCIe lanes. Both you can plug in the Intel i7 980x.

    For your best bang for the buck I was considering the ASUS M4A88TD-V An AMD board you could use the latest X6 CPU’s, Has an 880G chipset with USB 3.0 and sata III, onboard graphics radeon 4250, a ton of other features, for $119.00 on Newegg you can’t go wrong.

    For my latest new build I wanted to go best bang for the buck, so I went with an Asrock board, which is owned by ASUS. The ASROCK 880G EXTREME3 is an AMD board somewhat similar to the ASUS M4A88TD-V with a couple more features and at a better price of $109.00.

    For my best board, money is no object choice, I think I would go with an EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) (currently $599.99 on Newegg). It is a dual CPU board, Intel Xeon server CPU’s however. Dual CPUs would be awesome. Or the EVGA 170-BL-E762-A1 (currently $379.99 on the egg), with an i7 980x, 4 way SLI capable, however no USB 3.0 or sata III like on the ASUS supercomputer, again an add on card to cover that, and I believe there is enough bandwidth to cover 3 graphics cards in SLI + the sata & usb without saturating.. I like EVGA better then ASUS in terms of the top of the line boards. --The Captain

    Captainbob, Oct 7, 2010
  12. Daniel Mandic

    Rajah! Guest

    I built a WinXP machine based on the M2N4-SLI, which despite the dual
    graphics card slot was pretty much a bargain purchase. After 3-4
    RMAs, they sent me the M2N-SLI Deluxe board which I thought I'd like
    since it had an e-SATA port on the back panel. I had to RMA it twice
    before I gave up and bought a peripheral e-SATA card that connected
    directly to the SATA II ports on the mobo.

    It was a frustrating experience, personally. I never found the ASUS
    Support website friendly, in fact it was a bit difficult at times.

    Perhaps the higher-end boards enjoy better reliability and more/all
    features actually work.

    If and when I build another, it probably won't be ASUS. I recommend
    reading the customer reviews for individual boards on sites like
    Amazon or NewEgg.com or other well-used vendors.

    Good luck in your search!

    Robert

    Rajah!, Oct 7, 2010
  13. Daniel Mandic

    Captainbob

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    I must admit, I have seen a lot of complaints lately about Asus quality, having to do multiple RMA's, etc.
    Perhaps it is a good thing I went with an Asrock board for my latest build.

    Captainbob, Oct 10, 2010
  14. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    Well, then ASUS offers something where you life that they do not
    offer here. In any case, 2 of 3 boards dead and a graphics card
    dead 2 times speak for themselves. I had one dead
    UMC board before a long time ago, and that was it. I am not bying
    ASUS again.

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 21, 2010
  15. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    Unfortunatly not true. Only get high-volume or high profile
    boards and make sure they have been on the market for half a
    year. Then check in the ASUS forums before buying and you
    may be ok.

    Forst ecample: My "professional" board had a BIOS
    so badly broken, that it used 1-module termination with
    2 and 4 RAM modules. This was unreliable with 2 modules and
    regularly crashed with 4. But do you think there was an
    update for the BIOS despite it being sold for sseveral months
    at that time? No. I has to go into the CPU manual, find the
    correct termination and set it manually. That fixed the
    problem, but even diagnising the problem requires pretty
    advanced EE skills. The only "user error" I made was
    trying ASUS to do quality work. The board died after 2 years
    die to chipset overheating. Not my fault, I even had
    a dedicated Fan on it, the thermal design was just exceedingly
    incompetent.

    Second example: My last ASUS board came with a large, heavy
    heatsink on the northbridge that was mounted with a phase-change
    pad and too weak springs. The headsink broke loose very
    easily and the chipset died within a week due to inadequate
    cooling. The replacement then came with the used pad not scaped
    off the cooler (a big no-no) and thermal grease incompetently
    applied, so that it covered 1/3 of the chip. This also means that
    the phase-change pad was broken before the board was sent to me,
    because the thermal grease cannot be applied otherwise.
    As this board would also have died very fast, I mounted an
    alternate cooler. That is the second ASUS board with completely
    incompetent thermal design.

    I now have a Gigabyte board in place, that has none of these
    issues. I am not saying Gigabyte is better in general,
    but I am saying ASUS is not a quality vendor, they are selling
    badly designed trash as well and going by their reputation
    is useless.

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 21, 2010
  16. Daniel Mandic

    GMAN Guest

    Wow, 2 weeks to respond to my post?
    ..

    GMAN, Oct 21, 2010
  17. Daniel Mandic

    Arno Guest

    It happens....

    Arno, Oct 22, 2010
  18. Daniel Mandic

    willriker

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well, my Asus Rampage III Extreme $400 motherboard fried upon first shot at bringing it up. I have replaced it with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard and we'll see how it goes.

    I have always had good results with Asus in the past but...this is my first Gigabyte board.

    willriker, Oct 23, 2010