    not damaged - and actually this is the cause to the problem). I was thinking
    of a version of TUSL2 ?! any other suggestions?

    Bo Monberg

    Bo Monberg Weber, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Bo Monberg Weber

    Acedrew Guest

    TUSL2 is a solid choice.

    Acedrew, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Bo Monberg Weber

    Paul Guest

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041022001910/http://www.asus.com/inside/Techref/celerontualatin.htm

    Model BIOS
    TUA266 1004.003 <-- AGP slot no good :-(
    TUSC 1011
    TUSI-M 1011
    TUSL2 1011 (Total memory limit 512MB)
    TUSL2-C 1011
    TUSL2-M 1011
    TUEG-VM 1011
    TUEP2-M 1011
    TUV4X 1003 <-- I bought one but never used it. (P2B-S instead)
    TUWE-M 1001

    This list might be for the FSB133 processors.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20041022002909/http://www.asus.com/inside/Techref/p3tualatin.htm

    Same as the above list, plus TR-DLS and TR-DLSR server motherboards.
    They have Serverworks chipsets.

    Those two pages do not include the use of slockets and slot 1
    motherboards. There are more combinations possible with older
    slot 1 motherboards and an appropriate slocket type.

    It is a tough choice. The most recent versions of 815 chipsets
    would be winners, except for the maximum memory limitation. The
    sad part is, the 815 could support a 512MB stick of memory, but
    the total system memory was limited to 512MB, presumably for
    some evil marketing reason.

    One of the reasons I picked up a TUV4X, is it supports more
    memory. Unfortunately, if you do a Google search on "686B bug",
    you'll discover that the TUV4X is not the perfect motherboard.
    There is a fix for the bug, but I'm not 100% sure it fixes all
    motherboards in the field. I think if you have a PCI IDE card
    that you can plug into the board and use, then the TUV4X might
    be worth considering. I would not use the Southbridge IDE ports
    because of the 686B bug.

    Otherwise, find a motherboard with an 815xx chipset and
    live with the 512MB total memory limit. There is some info
    on vintage Intel chipsets here:

    http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Bo Monberg Weber

    Mark M Guest

    There's a 1014.001 bios for the TUSL2/TUSL2-C on Asus' site, which adds
    microcode support for the 1.4GHz Tualatin. I'm running this exact combo in
    one of my systems. It's listed as a beta version, but the only difference
    between it and the earlier rev is this extra CPU support.

    If you can live with the 512MB max memory it's a great, rock solid board.
    By far the most stable I've ever owned (out of around 20). I picked one up
    used on eBay for $20.

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2006

  5. Hi Bo!

    A dual-CPU Mainboard!
    The last I saw was about 500bucks. But possibly faster then the mighty
    i440BX chipset. Though, I only know fast Dual-Channel or
    64bitoutperforming the i82443 Northbridge. The Southbridge is an other
    story, if you would change it to a lame 8xx chipset or an
    unconfigurable VIA chipset, then it is your own choice :).

    My COMPAQ Deskpro10000 P500 can do sound without loading any drivers or
    starting a SETBLASTER line. Just start dos (from win98 or so) and setup
    the sound card for the prefered software. It's a BX outfitted Compaq,
    with an ISA-Soundcard ESS1869 onboard, but it behaves like a 8bit
    soundcard :), Sound in XP, 98 or so is good, as well.

    My other PC (Tualatin 1083MHz) is similar, but the ISA Soundblaster
    needs some lines and drivers to sound in DOS.
    In NT it is also O.K., but can slow down some games :-| (MSTS, MS-Rally)
    Though, the NT-Pinball sounds perfect (w/o crackers)!

    I know I could speed up with a SBlive, or something PCI, but... well,
    DOS.
    XP is no trouble.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: P2B-F - Rock Solid Stable. (400, {550EB, 800EB - massively oced
    ;-) - not me}, 700cel, PIII-S) lifetime-table :).... 1998 up to know,
    daily use.

    Daniel Mandic, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Hi

    I forgot to mention that the CPU is a Tualatin 1400/256/100/1.5 (SL6C6)
    (fcpga2 package)
    The RAM is 2 times 256 MB PC133 SDRAM - 16 ram chips each organized as
    16Mx8.

    What is the significant difference between TUSL2 and TUSL2-C ??

    Thanks for the input so far

    Cheers
    Bo Monberg

    Bo Monberg Weber, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Bo Monberg Weber

    Mark M Guest

    The TUSL2 has onboard video (which can be disabled). The -C doesn't.
    I've seen a few -C's that also didn't have onboard audio, although most do.

    Mark M, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Bo Monberg Weber

    Guest Guest

    I think DFI makes a "modern" motherboard based on a VIA
    chipset for those old CPU's. It's supposed to be pretty
    good. Check at newegg for reviews. It's about $50.

    Guest, Apr 20, 2006

  9. Those old CPU is still the newest 'core', we have on IBM-PC machines.
    :)

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Apr 20, 2006

  10. Lt. C`t (Computer Magazin) 07/2006.

    Daniel Mandic, Apr 20, 2006
  11. Bo Monberg Weber

    Beck

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I ran across this old thread, and had to weigh in. Oddly enough the absolute best ASUS MOBO for the Tualatin is the P3B-F V1.04. I still have one as of this writing that I refuse to part with simply because these are perhaps the most stable Boards I've ever used.

    I'm even running it @ an unofficial 133 FSB with 1G of Kingston PC133 RAM. I use a Promise Ultra100 controller for best HDD performance. I had a Celeron 1400 w/100 FSB for about a year and it was so perfectly stable I decided max it out the PIII-S Pentium 1400 @133 FSB. I put it off for a while thinking the lack of 1/2 AGP would be a limitation at 133 FSB, but it was very anticlimactic. No trouble at all using an ATI Raedon 7000. It doesn't even flinch at the 89Hz AGP. I use the PoweLeap iP3-T slot adaptor.

    Yeah, I know this is an old system by today's standards, but it simply flies and is rock solid. I even bought an extra P3B-F to have on hand should this board ever die. But as long as Digi-Key and Mouser are around as a source of caps I'll be keeping this around for a while yet. If you have stability problems I suspect RAM or old caps because the board itself as designed simply rocks!

    I use this in my studio as a DAW. I'm not into gaming at all. Perhaps it would choke under that kind off stress, but for my purposes, here it is almost 2012 and it's actually more power than I need.

    Again, if you can't get a Tualatin to run solid on a P3B-F It's likely defective or old caps, or flaky RAM. IMO the P3B-F is one of the best, if not the best i440BX there ever was.

    Cheers

    Beck, Dec 22, 2011