What is the best card for image/video capture editing for under $250?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by da_xanadu, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. da_xanadu

    da_xanadu Guest

    Hello,

    I'm a newbie to this. I'm building myself a system for the first time.
    It's a hobbist machine. The main power instensive uses will be 2D graphics,
    video capture (probably using my digital camcorder for converting my anolog
    tapes to digital format) and video editing, watching movies--but I'm not
    into games.

    I looked around in the forum for relevant info and it seems to me that
    mostly people (and the latest great cards) are oriented toward gaming
    concerns. And so my question is: what is the most appropriate card for my
    purposes? For below $250?

    Also relatedly, is the video capture quality of an All-in-Wonder card, or a
    separate TV tuner/capture card (such as by Leadtek or Asus) or a standalone
    converter such as the Datatvideo's DAC-100 better than that of my digital
    camcorder?

    Thanks a lot in advance for any advice and suggestion!

    da_xanadu

    My system:

    ASUS P4P deluxe mobo
    Intel P4 2.4C processor
    Mushkin 1 GB DDR PC 3500 DIMM
    Western digital 120 GB HDD 7400 rps
    Antec PSU True Blue 480
    DVD Burner (not decided yet)

    da_xanadu, Jul 4, 2003

  2. da_xanadu

    Cliff Guest

    Matrox is generally regarded as King when it comes to 2D quality.

    Recently released two new cut down versions of the top end Parhelia - the
    P650 and P750. Not sure on pricing though.

    You should still be able to pick up the G550, which will definitely be in
    your price range. This is an older card, but it still does the job. I've
    just upgraded to the P4P800 and still hanging on to my Matrox
    G400Max...purely because of 2D quality. That said, I don't know what the
    others (ATI, Nvidia) are like...but from what I read Matrox is the safest
    bet.

    Not sure on you analogue capture issues. I've been using the companion
    Rainbow Runner analogue card (as a TV tuner) for my analogue work...works
    fine. I'm retiring it (compatibility issues with XP), and moving to Leadtek
    Winfast TV2000XP deluxe...seems well regarded.

    HTH, Cliff

    Cliff, Jul 5, 2003

  3. da_xanadu

    Doug Hook Guest

    Start looking for the cheapest Radeon 9700 AIW . It will do everything you
    need and more. Not sure about the price right now . If you can wait a couple
    months the price should come down, if you can't wait its worth the extra
    ca$h.

    Doug Hook, Jul 5, 2003