  1. InteLarrabee

    InteLarrabee Guest

    i7 Core something?

    InteLarrabee, May 17, 2010

  2. InteLarrabee

    Nate Edel Guest

    Fastest (non-overclocked) is either the i7-980X (for most-things) or the
    i5-680 (for single-threaded tasks):
    http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=48504,47932,

    ....although for single-threaded tasks, any of the processors which
    will turbo to 3.6ghz will perform as well as the i7-980X.

    "Best" is a somewhat subjective term, and also depends on if you o/c; not
    being a serious OC person, I don't keep track of which chips have the most
    headroom for overclocking; with some of the promotional pricing ($199) the
    i7-920 or i7-860 or ($329 with motherboard at some Fry's locations) i7-930
    are all very hard to resist.

    Unless you expect to need the memory bandwidth, expect to need over 8MB of
    memory, or are planning to keep the same board for a later upgrade to 6/8
    cores, I think the 860 is probably the single best "sweet spot" chip right
    now for enthusaiasts, but mileages and workloads vary highly.

    At regular ($280-$300) pricing for the 920/860, the AMD Phenon II x6 1090T
    (about the same price) starts looking very attractive for those who need the
    extra cores. For many people who don't need even 4 cores, the
    dual-core/quad-thread i5-660/661 look almost unbeatable at $199 except when
    promotional pricing pushes the quad-cores down to comparable pricing.

    Nate Edel, May 17, 2010