what is the best hard drive for a Titanium PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Paul Nevai, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Paul Nevai

    Paul Nevai Guest

    QUESTION #1. Are 7200 RPM drives too hot for a 800 MHz Titanium PowerBook?

    QUESTION #2. If 7200 RPM drives are OK, then what's the best choice?

    QUESTION #3. If 7200 RPM drives are not OK, then what's the best choice?

    NOTE. Price doesn't matter [as long as < $250].

    NOTE. Quality and warranty do matter a lot.

    NOTE. I checked the web and I know my choices. I just don't know how the
    drives actually perform.

    NOTE. Based on stats, it looks like a 100GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200.1
    7200RPM is a great choice. Is it?

    Please respond only to the above questions and don't suggest to get a used
    drive or eBay or such. I plan to buy from a reputable dealer.

    Thanks, PaulN

    Paul Nevai, Jun 14, 2006

  2. I expect it is, but I've paid less and not regretted it. I've used
    Hitachi Travelstars in my PB (replacing them only because I ran out of
    space) and they've been great. At <http://eshop.macsales.com/> the
    100GB 7200rpm Travelstar will run $185, vs. $210 for the Seagate.
    Either's probably just fine.

    Tom Harrington, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Paul Nevai

    G.E.R.R.Y. Guest

    You've been spoiled. Remember when a 2GB HD was considered HUGE? ;-)

    Gerry < who still has SCSI 2s, 4s, and 9s running >

    G.E.R.R.Y., Jun 14, 2006
  4. Um. I recall when 32 MB (not GB) was the upper limit of what some
    systems supported. My first personal hard disk was a "large" 20 MB one.

    Richard E Maine, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Paul Nevai

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I couldn't help but chime in, remembering how impressed I was when I forked
    out something like $1,200 for a 20 MEGABYTE hard drive for my Macintosh 512.
    Wow, a drive that held something like 50 floppies worth of data!

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 14, 2006
  6. Paul Nevai

    Grandpa Guest

    While others are reminiscing, I'll try to give you my experience:
    Q1: Not in mine.
    Q2: I've not had problems with the Travelstar; still running after six
    years of hard use.
    Q3: IME, the only "drawback" to the 7200 RPM drive is the reduced run
    time on battery power.

    If you are comfortable with Seagate's warranty, its not a bad choice.

    Grandpa, Jun 15, 2006
  7. Paul Nevai

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    it was in 1987 (if I remember correctly) that I bought a Mac II computer
    (around $6,000) and a LaserWriter Plus printer (around $7,000). Shortly after
    I had the Mac II I installed a Dove accelerator card (aroound $1,500). And
    people moan and groan about the prices of Apple hardware today!

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 15, 2006
  8. Paul Nevai

    Steve Hix Guest

    We thought that nobody outside of a software development team would ever
    need more than 5MB.

    Then we got a 10MB Profile hard disk (at work, I wasn't making enough to
    afford one for home).

    It would boot up an Apple//e or Apple/// is less than a second, as long
    as you powered up the drive about 30 seconds before you hit the
    computer's power switch.

    Steve Hix, Jun 15, 2006
  9. Paul Nevai

    David Empson Guest

    The last time I turned on a working 5 MB ProFILE I seem to recall it
    taking a good minute or longer to do its self-test (including verifying
    every block on the volume). I'd expect a 10 MB one to take twice as
    long. Maybe it just seemed like eternity. :)

    I still have one in my basement but I don't know whether it still works.
    If not, the chances of reformatting it are now pretty slim, as it needs
    an Apple /// with ProFILE controller, formatting software, special
    firmware on an EPROM and a ceramic Z8 with "piggyback" EPROM socket in
    the ProFILE.

    Thank god hard drives have got cheaper and easier to use in the last two
    decades!

    BTW, the first hard drive I bought was a 60 MB Rodime in 1988. Cost me
    about NZ$3200 (something in the order of US$1600 at the time). Recently
    got thrown out when I moved to a new flat.

    The first hard drive I used was a Nestar 20 MB one attached to our Apple
    II network at high school, around 1983. Rather large and noisy beast,
    kept in a back room, with a dedicated file server. It was about eight
    inches high, eighteen inches wide and three feet deep. I shudder to
    think how much it would have originally cost, but our school probably
    got it second hand.

    David Empson, Jun 15, 2006
  10. Paul Nevai

    Paul Nevai Guest

    :> We thought that nobody outside of a software development team would ever
    :> need more than 5MB.

    You guys all reminisce [smiley]. I am the OP but let me add...

    One of my friends in 1985 bought a 5Mb internal HD for his Mac for 10K. This
    was his own personal Mac and he spent his own personal monies. He is just a
    regular guy, not a gazillioner. Can you beat that?

    /PaulN

    Paul Nevai, Jun 15, 2006
  11. Well, not in absolute terms, but if you scale it down a little... (it
    was obviously earlier, so maybe I can claim that the dollars were worth
    more :))...

    I spent about $2000 of my own personal money to get, ummm... I think it
    was 2 MB of storage capacity... in floppy drives for my Apple 2e. That
    was 2 Shugate double-sided, double-density 8-inch floppy drives (I think
    it was 1 MB each drive, but if thats not right, it must have been 500k).
    Add a case and power supply big and heavy enough to anchor a fair-sized
    boat, plus an interface card, and the total came to right around $2k,
    not including any floppy media.

    Richard E Maine, Jun 15, 2006
  12. Paul Nevai

    Ray Laughton Guest

    Not only that but good programs were 300-400kb so you could get a lot
    onto a 5MB HD. OTOH I recall looking for a used Mac in CA in 1985,
    nothing available in my price range of <$1000..

    RL

    Ray Laughton, Jun 15, 2006
  13. Paul Nevai

    Steve Hix Guest

    Some people go for classic cars, others for sailboats...

    Steve Hix, Jun 15, 2006