What Is The Correct Format For Adding An AIM Address To Address Book ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Kurt R. Todoroff, Nov 22, 2008.

  1. John Doe's AIM address is .

    If I enter this address into the AIM address field in his Address Book
    record, and then I drag this record to the iChat Buddy List, iChat will
    not inform me when John is logged into AIM. His entry in the Buddy List
    will remain gray.

    However, if I change the address to johndoe in the AIM address field in
    his Address Book record, then iChat will update the Buddy List to
    johndoe, and it will inform me when John is logged into AIM.

    I have searched for documentation that specifies the proper format for
    adding an AIM address into Address Book, unsuccessfully. Can someone
    provide a legitimate reference?

    Thank you.

    --

    Kurt Todoroff

    Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
    Consent, not coercion.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Nov 22, 2008

  2. I'm using 10.4.11.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Nov 22, 2008

  3. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tom Stiller Guest

    No,it isn't.
    AIM screen names are *not* email addresses; they are just the string,
    with or without embedded space characters, chosen when one registered up
    for the AIM account

    Tom Stiller, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Tom,

    Thank you for the information.

    I take it that if John Doe obtained the same messenger address from
    Google, then he would similarly enter johndoe into Address Book, and
    then select Jabber from the associated pull-down menu, and iChat would
    use the parenthetical identifier, AIM or Jabber, for for its needs.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I've never employed Address Book in setting up AIM or Jabber buddies,
    just added them with the "add buddy" mechanism. AIM buddies require
    just the "screenname" defined when setting up the AIM account (no AOL
    account required), while Jabber buddies require the full G-Mail address.

    Tom Stiller, Nov 22, 2008
  6. I've never employed Address Book in setting up AIM or Jabber buddies,
    just added them with the "add buddy" mechanism. AIM buddies require
    just the "screenname" defined when setting up the AIM account (no AOL
    account required), while Jabber buddies require the full G-Mail address.[/QUOTE]

    Got It!

    Thank you, Tom.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Nov 23, 2008
  7. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Simon Slavin Guest

    In other words, the thing that's in the 'email address' field is
    completely irrelevant to what iChat is doing. iChat is looking at a
    different field.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Nov 24, 2008