What is the difference between Primary and Secondary Display ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by soorya, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. soorya

    soorya Guest

    I make Cable TV software to play video clips on TV out.
    I recommend nVidia Geforce Display card for my software.

    I use Dual View Mode where user can make programs/Scroll
    Titles/Animation etc
    on PC Monitor, while the Video clips are being played on TV out.

    I make PC Monitor as Primary and TV as Secondary.
    So that No window will get open on TV out except my windows.

    My Problems:
    ---------------------
    I am using C++ Scrolling Text ActiveX where GetScanLine() is used.

    CVSync::CVSync(bool autoStart) : CMMTimers(1), line(0), AllOK(false),
    VBPos(0)
    {
    if(DirectDrawCreate(0,&lpDD,0) != DD_OK) return;
    if(lpDD->SetCooperativeLevel(0,DDSCL_NORMAL) != DD_OK) return;
    //if(autoStart) startVB();
    AllOK = true;
    }

    void CVSync::timerProc()
    {
    DWORD tmp;
    if(AllOK && lpDD->GetScanLine(&tmp) == DD_OK)
    {
    if(tmp > VBPos && !done) { VB(); done = true; }
    if(tmp < line && !done) VB();
    if(tmp < line ) done = false;
    line = tmp;
    }
    }

    I get jerky scrolling on TV out.
    I tried setting 100Hz in PC Monitor and some time the scroll seems very
    smooth and mostof the time it is jerky.

    When I make TV as Primary I get super smooth scrolling always.
    But TV as primary mode does'nt suit for my application.
    I get Splash screen of Photoshop or OutLook Express getting opened on
    TV.
    This is after settings nVidia software to open all the windows on PC
    Monitor.
    Other wise 100& windows getting opened on TV screen.

    My Question:
    ------------------
    What exactly nVidia does on Primary display to get smooth scrolling.?
    can't I do the same on Secondary Display ?
    So that I can make TV as secondary and my problem is solved.

    Suggestion Needed:

    soorya, Jan 4, 2006

  2. soorya

    !bungle Guest

    You could also try rec.video.desktop

    !bungle, Jan 5, 2006

  3. thanks...
    let me try
    soorya
    soorya(at)vsnl(dot)com

    blackmagicinc, Jan 5, 2006
  4. [...]
    This newsgroup hardly ever gets questions to do with programming. You'll
    have a much better chance of finding an answer if you post to
    news://microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.video. You can find that
    newsgroup on the msnews.microsoft.com news server if your ISP doesn't carry
    it.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 6, 2006