    know if there is an advantage to the 9xx chipset? Are the intel chips truly
    64 bit or are they some hybrid 32/64 bit?

    Thanks

    Boe, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Boe

    Eric Guest

    Go read up on ia64 (aka Itanic) vs EMT64 (aka AMD64 'father! forgive my
    sin')
    Intel has web pages that will let you do a direct comparison between
    specific chipsets. Off hand, without looking it up, I'd guess 9xx series
    chipsets have SATA controllers, faster memory bus's, support DDR2 RAM,
    additional USB 2.0 ports, lower latency and support for a faster FSB,
    support PCIE, have suport for newer cpu's and generally support EMT64. the
    8xx series dont have SATA, PCIE, or DDR2 support and less or slower speeds
    of the above mentioned other stuff.
    Eric

    Eric, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Boe