    purchase, it's still a big difference. So, what are the differences
    between the two cards that justifies such a large price spread? Will
    the OEM version be supported by Panther once it is released? Thanks.

    Otto Pylot, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Otto Pylot

    Joe Heimann Guest

    The differences I know of include one less SCSI connector both internally
    and externally. The retail card has one internal and external connector
    for both SCSI channels supported by the card. The OEM version has one
    channel connected to one external 68-pin connector and the other channel
    is connected to one internal 68-pin connector. The retail version can be
    updated with flash updaters from ATTO, the OEM one can not. The OEM card
    is supported by Apple, and should work as long as Apple supports use of
    the card in the OS. Panther should support the card since it was an
    option in a number of supported PowerMac systems. Others may know of
    other differences between the OEM and retail cards.

    Joe Heimann

    P.S. OWC lists the retail version for $426, a savings off the full list
    price. Comparing the two listings helps show the differences.

    Joe Heimann, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    Thanks again. The UltraStar HD specifically lists the UL3D as one of
    the cards that works with it so I should be fine with the OEM one as
    long as they are still available from OWC. I am a tad bit concerned
    that the OEM can't be flashed though. Could be a problem down the road.

    Otto Pylot, Oct 20, 2003