    there be speed delays when playing songs on itunes? My mac has usb1.1.
    But I may get a firewire to speed things up. Suggestions and tips are
    greatly appreciated.

    henree64, Dec 15, 2006

  2. henree64

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    The drive in the iPod is not designed nor rated for continuous
    operation. Using it as a full time external drive is not recommended.
    The iPod grabs a bunch of music from its internal drive and keeps it in
    memory while playing. The iPod only accesses the hard drive
    infrequently, which assists drive life, and also assists battery life.

    You can allocate space on the iPod hard drive, and store music or any
    other files there (instead of or as well as in the space handled by
    iTunes application).

    If your only copy of your music MP3 files in your iMac, remember that
    the iPod is designed to sync with a "master" record of music handled by
    iTunes. If you wipe your music from your iMac, and then sync your iPod,
    the music in the iPod will also be removed (since that is what you told
    it to do). You would need to be careful to set your iPod to manual
    operation. Make sure you have your music backed up on CD or elsewhere.

    Given that the DAC in the iPod is probably at least as good as the one
    in your older iMac, and you have more space on the iPod, why not simply
    connect your iPod direct to your music system?

    Eric Lindsay, Dec 15, 2006

  3. henree64

    Jon Guest

    USB 1.1 _may_ not be fast enough, unfortunately. And you will find
    syncing speed to be slo-o-o-w for large amounts of music. I have seen
    10-15 minutes for a GB of music on Shuffles using USB 1.1. Do the maths
    yourself...
    Modern iPods cannot sync in iTunes using FireWire (the can charge the
    battery, though), but I see no reason why they should not be able to act
    as an external FW disk drive. If so, you can certainly store files on
    the iPod and tell iTunes to look there for its music folder. However,
    that does not, as I said, help the syncing process in iTunes.

    Get a larger drive for your iMac... A 120GB+ drive costs very few $$
    nowadays. Depending on the model of iMac it may be a little hassle to
    swap it, but definitely doable unless you have ten thumbs. ;-)

    Jon, Dec 15, 2006
  4. henree64

    David Empson Guest

    Modern iPods don't support any type of data transfer via Firewire. Apple
    removed the support circuitry for Firewire in order to save money and
    space inside the iPod. The only remaining function of Firewire is to
    supply power to the iPod.

    If you plug a modern iPod into a Firewire port, the Mac won't even see
    it as a connected device. You certainly can't use it as a hard drive.

    This applies to all models of the iPod Nano and the 5th Generation iPod.

    The iPod Shuffle only has a USB connector (direct or via its special
    dock) so there is no way to connect it to Firewire anyway. In theory
    someone could make an adapter to connect a Shuffle to Firewire, but it
    would only be able to supply power. The Shuffle might not be designed to
    allow for a power source other than 5V regulated DC (as supplied by
    USB), so you could damage it by trying to power it from Firewire (which
    is unregulated and at a higher voltage).

    Earlier models (iPod Mini and 4th Generation and earlier full size
    iPods) have full support for Firewire.

    If you go back far enough, the oldest iPod models only support Firewire
    - USB support was added in the first model with the Dock connector.

    David Empson, Dec 15, 2006
  5. henree64

    larwe Guest

    Not true. The drive will be spinning constantly in "external drive
    mode" since iTunes has no reason to read-ahead any large amount of
    data. The iPod loads the currently playing file in bursts, with the HDD
    spun down most of the time.

    larwe, Dec 15, 2006
  6. I'll not go over things others have said. But I notice one critical
    point that I haven't yet seen made...

    Even without the question of moving your music to the iPod...
    You do have backups, right? If you don't, then forget everything else
    until you fix that severe problem or you *WILL* regret it.

    The reason this came to my mind is that something like an iPod is
    inherently more susceptible to various accidents than the hard drive in
    your computer. If you have proper backups, this isn't a big deal. Just
    make sure to adjust the backup scheme to also handle the iPod. If you
    don't do backups, then you already have a problem and are on the road to
    making it worse.

    Richard E Maine, Dec 16, 2006
  7. henree64

    Jon Guest

    Thanks for the heads-up. Logical; just goes to show I hadn't really
    thought it through (or tested all options) myself.

    Jon, Dec 16, 2006
  8. henree64

    larwe Guest

    Doug Anderson wrote:

    Try connecting an iPod to your computer as a Firewire/USB disk. Play an
    MP3 off it using iTunes. Listen to the drive motor. (I tried this with
    an iPod photo, but I'm sure it applies to other models).

    I rest my case.

    larwe, Dec 17, 2006
  9. henree64

    Adrian Guest

    Clearly the start-stop use of the drive in normal iPod operation
    benefits battery life, in conjunction with careful management of
    buffered memory. However, do you know it to be the case that the hard
    drive "is not designed nor rated for continuous operation" ? These
    drives are surely manufactured for use in many different applications,
    some of which I would have thought may require continuous operation.

    Adrian, Dec 17, 2006
  10. henree64

    Jon Guest

    As, e.g., showing videos? ;-)

    The only thing I am a little afraid of with regard to coninuous operaton
    of the iPod drive is heat dissipation. It is a _small_ cabinet, with no
    air circulating. I am afraid the drive will get too hot for its own
    health in the long run, not for the health of the mechanism per se.

    Anyone have any data on this?

    Jon, Dec 17, 2006
  11. henree64

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    From personal experience, I'd say that's what killed my 1G iPod. I kept
    all my music on it because my HD was just too full back then, so I left
    it plugged in most of the time. That sucker got *hot*, and the disk
    died in about 18 months. Maybe newer generations are smarter about
    spinning the disk down when connected, but that experience led to me
    going with the flash-based iPod shuffle. Given that the iPod no longer
    supports Firewire, its use as an external drive is further limited for
    my needs, too.

    Doc O'Leary, Dec 17, 2006
  12. henree64

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    I couldn't readily find a specification from Toshiba on the recommended
    duty cycle of those little 1.8 inch drives. So really I am relying on
    general industry buzz over the past few years about what embedded
    designers have done with them, and why.

    Everyone claims at least 300,000 hours MTBF (but some drives claim over
    1 million hours), and Toshiba say the 1.8 are good for 5 years, but only
    warranty them for 1 year (some of their other 2.5 inch models get 3
    years). Of course, the same specs that say 300,000 hour MTBF say life of
    5 years or 20,000 power on hours, which is about 5 years at a 50% duty
    cycle.

    However I have seen nothing apart from that to indicate any 1.8 inch
    drive is available rated for enhanced duty (that is, 24/7). On the other
    hand, I believe some laptops use them. Looks like you would have to sign
    up with their developers website to get access to more design
    information about suggested duty cycles. If most of the drives are going
    into music players, only the people playing videos a lot are likely to
    push the drives to destruction anyhow (what is your battery life playing
    video?)

    You will find (in Macintouch and elsewhere) a lot of comments about the
    restricted duty cycle of the earlier iPod models. This includes note of
    Apple managing to burn out a 5GB drives in one day of continuous use,
    plus notes of other people not having similar problems. A laptop
    environment will have cooling, whereas an iPod is semi-sealed and does
    not have active cooling.

    Maybe someone in touch with a hardware designer in that area will come
    up with the real design recommendations from the drive people?

    Eric Lindsay, Dec 17, 2006