    My current drive is a Hitachi 5K80 40GB, but I'd like to know the
    largest drive that it would support.

    Thanks in advance.

    DevNull, Nov 17, 2009

  2. There is no practical limit as PATA IDE drives only go up to around 320GB
    and those will work without issue in the T40. The T43 has other strange
    drive compatibility problems, but the T40 is relatively simple.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 17, 2009

  3. DevNull

    DevNull Guest

    Thanks Tony, I'll use that info in my search for a large drive.

    I called Hitachi and they conservatively only recommend an 80GB since
    "the laptop is so old!"

    DevNull, Nov 17, 2009
  4. DevNull

    clare Guest

    Trying to find any PATA or IDE 2.5" laptop drives is getting pretty
    difficult. Nobody stocks them - 6 and 13 GB drives are still readilly
    available, but 40, 80, and 160 are getting scarce as hen's teeth. I
    managed to find a 160 to replace the dead 80 in a customer's machine
    yesterday.

    clare, Nov 18, 2009
  5. Your comments surprise me. SATA may be much cheaper but PATA have not yet
    disappeared.

    http://tinyurl.com/ykobzs6
    http://tinyurl.com/yg7a7el

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 18, 2009
  6. DevNull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It'll run fine with a new Western Digital 500GB drive. I think that's about
    as big as you'll fine with an PATA interface. (If you can find one.)

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2009
  7. DevNull

    clare Guest

    Try to get one when you need it. I'm in "the business" and NONE of
    the major distributors have them in stock, and the one that has them
    available quoted $285 Canadian for a 30GB drive - 2 weeks waiting
    period IF the warehouse THEY ordered out of actually had them in
    stock. I found a shop that sells used laptops who had a 160 in stock
    at less than $100 - but he said there was no more where that one came
    from. I grabbed it and the customer was happy.

    clare, Nov 19, 2009
  8. DevNull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Strange. I can get brand new Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160GB IDE HDDs for
    NZ$130 including delivery here in New Zealand, delivered the next working
    day (the last one was on my doorstep 16 hours after ordering) or picked up
    instantly. (I can get many other brands and sizes, that was just an
    example.)

    I do find that smaller 'original equipment' drives like Hitachi or Toshiba
    can be silly prices and harder to get but why would you replace a 30GB HDD
    with another 30GB? Especially when you can get a faster, cooler, more
    efficient 160GB more cheaply.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.