  1. I have met the expression "if your cpu can keep up with this card" numerous
    times on this newsgroop. Could anyone state what is the minimal CPU that
    can keep up with modern cards such as the RADEON 9800PRO?

    Nissim Trifonov, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Nissim Trifonov

    Sham B Guest

    Depends on the game.
    for example, a no-brainer like Bloodrayne doesnt require much in the way of cpu calculations even
    with full eye candy, so its fast on most machines that have a 9800 pro. Lock-on is about the most
    cpu intensive game I have played recently, and you are lucky not to dip below 25fps whatever your
    system.

    Best advice by far is to have a look at the recommended (not minimum) specs for a few games you can
    see yourself buying, and build/buy hardware in that ballpark.

    Having said that, my current CPU is a XP2100 (driving a Radeon 9800 pro). Although I know its the
    limiting factor in my system, most games do not seem to be that limited when I play them, so I feel
    no need to upgrade :)

    It also depends on the resolution. If you increase the resolution to silly extremes, then
    obviously, your GfX will slow down, and may become the bottleneck.

    Sham B, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Nissim Trifonov

    Wblane Guest

    I could run BloodRayne, Max Payne 2, GTAIII: Vice City and Enter The Matrix at
    1600x1200x32 w/highest detail settings. Why? Because all these games are
    console ports. The strange thing is I can also run C&C Generals: Zero Hour at
    the same resolution and max detail. Unreal2 is the only game that I've got that
    challenges the system at all.

    I've got an o'clocked Barton at 2346 w/a 9800 Pro on an Abit NF7-s V2.0. The
    9800 Pro is the bottleneck because if I crank up aniso-filtering to max or AA
    up the frame rate his is instantly noticeable.

    Wblane, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Nissim Trifonov

    John Hall Guest

    Today's topend video cards like the 9800 pro can process anything they get
    from the cpu faster than the cpu can sling it. The slower the cpu, the
    slower the video card gets the data it needs, and the slower your game runs.
    To really unleash the 9800 pro, and I think that's what you mean, I think
    you need a Barton 2500 XP equivalent or better with the latest games.

    JK

    John Hall, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Nissim Trifonov

    Stoneskin Guest

    Wblane left a note on my windscreen which said:
    So are Deus Ex 2, Halo and KOTOR. Would these run well at similar
    resolution because these are console ports?

    I don't think the fact that something is ported from a console gives
    much in the way of indication on how it performs on PC.

    Stoneskin, Apr 26, 2004
  6. Nissim Trifonov

    Wblane Guest

    Yes, it does, because console ports feature low-res textures, low polygon
    counts and a general lack of textures. Console ports were coded to run on
    console hardware w/console limitations. KOTOR looks like crap compared to Jedi
    Knight:Academy.

    Wblane, Apr 26, 2004
  7. Nissim Trifonov

    Gonzo Guest

    Question..
    Have you ever played Deus Ex 2?
    It's a slide show on my PC. The fact that it's a port means nothing.
    It's the quality of the port, not how many textures are in it.

    Gonzo, Apr 26, 2004
  8. Nissim Trifonov

    Stoneskin Guest

    Wblane left a note on my windscreen which said:
    So Deus Ex 2 and Halo runs silky smooth on any mid-level (very high
    compared to XBox hardware) PC?

    The port from a console to PC in performance terms is not as simple as
    just comparing the hardware.

    Stoneskin, Apr 27, 2004