    back in the '80s... :-( ).

    TIA
    Ben

    Ben Miller, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Pentium Pro and later Intel CPUs have uploadable microcode. When a new
    processor (stepping) is released, the BIOS needs to be updated in order
    to have the necessary microcode patches (which can contain workarounds
    for errata and the like). On a side note, Windows 2000 and later M$
    operating systems have a microcode update device that loads the
    microcode if not done by the BIOS.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Given that the microcode must be re-uploaded on each bootup, I'd say
    volatile. You may be able to find something at developer.intel.com.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Jul 27, 2003