    Grateful for any advise on what to do!

    Regards
    Johanna

    Johanna, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Johanna

    Conor Guest

    In article <4192823e$>, Johanna says...
    > Hi,
    > I have a Shuttle with an FB61 mainboard.
    > I just bought 1 GB of new RAM for the free slot. The RAM is of the make
    > "simtec" and it is PC2700 compliant DDR SD RAM. This should be ok as per
    > the mainboard manual... However when this RAM is plugged in, the machine
    > doesn't boot! The monitor remains black and I can see that the machine
    > is trying, but isn't able to boot...
    > Please could someone explain what is going on?
    >
    > I checked the stamp my existing RAM which works... this is Samsung...
    > This is the site that I bought it from
    > http://www.aria.co.uk/Products.asp
    > Grateful for any advise on what to do!

    Oh dear.

    Arias RAM is absolutely shite. I've had nothing but trouble with
    anything but the Corsair stuff they sell. Currently I have four sticks
    of 256MB PC133 that will only work in one machine. Tried them in five
    seperate machines from hombuilt Intel/Via to Compaq Desktops.

    I will no longer buy any RAM from them - its that dire.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    Conor, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Johanna

    Johanna Guest

    Hi Conor,
    Did you get a refund from Aria?
    I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
    you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
    elsewhere..
    Not very experienced, so you would you be able to recommend somewhere in
    central or SW London, or a good site?
    Thanks for helping!
    Jo

    Johanna, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Johanna

    David Jones Guest

    You should always buy the fastest ram for the machine.... i.e. PC3200 or
    better. Secondly, I had the same problems with my ST61.
    I started out using the preferred A-Data, then upgraded to Samsung , then
    Kingston...... The Kingston finally workded. Go with the best brand
    name.......

    David Jones, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Johanna

    Conor Guest

    In article <41929c99$>, Johanna says...
    > Hi Conor,
    > Did you get a refund from Aria?
    > I thought I'd simply send it back and exchange it.. But based on what
    > you are saying it seems that I may be best returning it and buying
    > elsewhere..

    Can't get a refund because it does work. Its just incompatible with 80%
    of the PCs I've tried it on but its up to the buyer to ensure it is
    compatible.

    Conor, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Johanna

    Johanna Guest

    That's awful! I am really angry! It cost me well over £100 and adheres
    to what the mother board manual recommends!

    I called them today, and instead of just saying that I should send it
    back for a refund, they insisted that I generate a return code on their
    website...! When I have got this, I can return it...

    I am not one to back off easily though, will let you know!

    Johanna, Nov 11, 2004
  7. Johanna

    Johanna Guest

    Oh, typical! I got your advise too late! Stopped by PC World and picked
    up 512 as opposed to 1 gb of ram. It was the best they stocked, but not
    any of the makes you mentioned. Haven't tested it yet.
    Jo

    Johanna, Nov 11, 2004