    what is your opinion on the widescreen notebooks like the 17" notebook. do you
    think the widescreen notebooks is the wave of the future , or is it just a
    useless fad? what good does a 17" notebook do?

    SamNC001, Feb 1, 2004

  2. SamNC001

    Henry Guest

    I have a Presario X1000 with a 15.3 inch widescreen. Personally, I really
    enjoy the wide screen. It gives me the same width as my 17 inch desktop LCD
    screen, and also the same 1280 resolution width wise. I think that
    widescreen is the way to go. Most high end TV sets are widescreen, and I
    don't see any reason why computer screens will not follow the same trend.
    Also, when watching a DVD on my laptop, the top and bottom black bars (on
    widescreen video's) are barely there. Just my opinion. Other people I've
    talked to don't like them.

    Henry

    Henry, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Well, don't confuse the term "widescreen" with "big". Widescreen refers to
    the aspect ratio, and you can get them in smaller sizes such as 15.4".
    These are generally 16:10 screens. I think whether these are worth it just
    depends on how you plan on using the laptop most. They're better for
    watching movies, obviously, but some people are used to squarer screens for
    other applications and still prefer them.

    The thing is, though, that a 15.4" screen is usually at least 1280x800
    resolution, compared to 1024x768 for a 15". So you're gaining both
    horizontal *and* vertical resolution. I personally think this makes them
    better for *all* applications. It's a bigger screen, and it's higher
    resolution, without really adding any bulk to the laptop. There's no
    downside to it that I can see. I don't think widescreen displays are a
    passing fad, though I do think laptops will continue to be made in a variety
    of configurations, screen sizes and aspect ratios, depending on the intended
    market of the particular laptop.

    As for 17" screen sizes specifically, I do think these are overkill and will
    always be a niche product. I think these *might* die out eventually,
    because there doesn't seem to be a big market for them. The main problem is
    that there's really no way to comfortably carry one around - it's not just a
    question of weight (which some people can deal with), it's really a question
    of physical dimensions. They're just very bulky and unwieldy - you can't
    stick one in a backpack or even a standard laptop bag, and you can't really
    sit one on your lap without overhang on either side. You can't really use
    them on planes or trains. The main market for them seems to be as desktop
    replacements, but I think in the high end that 17" laptops appeal to, most
    of those cunsomers would rather just have a desktop and a *very* large
    display. There doesn't seem to me to be much point in replacing a powerful
    and expandable desktop that has a 19" LCD or 22" CRT with a laptop that
    costs more and only has a 17" display. I think those people would just keep
    the desktop and get a smaller, lighter laptop that they can more comfortably
    carry around.

    Jeff Williams, Feb 1, 2004
  4. When I bought my laptop (iBook) I bought the 12" screen. The 17"
    seems much too big, adds lots of weight, and doesn't give that much.
    I want a laptop that can be taken anywhere and be light and quick to
    start. A 17" doesn't seem like it would fill that need - plus the 17"
    models that Apple has have that large left and right overhang (don't
    know if that is typical). So that might be 2 feet or more wide. Too
    much.

    David Douthitt ()
    UNIX System Administrator
    HP-UX, Unixware, Linux