what kind of memory in the two sdram slots of the 5IGM(1)?

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by mmiserus, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. mmiserus

    mmiserus Guest

    Hello,

    My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
    4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
    about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
    not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
    decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.

    This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
    more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
    one.

    Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
    Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
    works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)

    Please comment?

    Thanks
    Max M.

    mmiserus, Oct 20, 2004

  2. mmiserus

    Lazarus Guest

    this could just be a software problem

    goto run and type msconfig
    then choose diagnostic startup
    now reboot and press F8 key repeatedly as the pc starts
    choose option 4 step by step confirmation
    press ENTER to everything except autoexec.bat & config.sys

    if win starts ok go back to msconfig and change it back to normal startup

    now see if it shuts down
    if not try the windows shutdown patch for win98se and if you cant find it it
    email me as i have it on a win98se machine somewhere

    avmaster AT btinternet DOT com

    Lazarus, Oct 21, 2004

  3. mmiserus

    Lazarus Guest

    edo runs at 5v usually and sd runs at 3.3
    edo is 60ns and sd is 10ns

    so its not advisable to mix them but if you stick to only sd ram then it
    should work as far as i know

    Lazarus, Oct 21, 2004
  4. mmiserus

    mmiserus Guest

    Hello 'Lazarus', ;-)

    Why should Win not start up o.k. as I have no problems starting up,
    only closing down?
    Is it really possible that Windows will be cured by this procedure as
    it seems to me that it does not change anything?

    I have already downed that shutdown patch but was not sure wether to
    use it or not.
    Thank you very much!
    I 'll do as you say.

    Max M.
    =================================

    mmiserus, Oct 21, 2004
  5. mmiserus

    mmiserus Guest

    Hello,

    Yes, as far as I know too...

    Max M.

    mmiserus, Oct 21, 2004
  6. mmiserus

    Lazarus Guest

    ok then change the sentence to "once windows starts ok"

    If you look at windows help it will tell you the same thing and YES it does
    indeed help!!! I wouldnt ask you to do it if it wasnt going to help???
    Theres really no answer to that!!!!

    :eek:)

    Lazarus, Oct 22, 2004