    blew it out as best as I could. I don't have any compressed air.

    I would like to find a replacement but I can't tell by looking at
    other NB fans if it will mount using the two hooks I have on my mobo.

    Terry, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Terry

    frodo Guest

    frodo, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Terry

    Guest Guest

    Get one of these:
    http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=16455

    It keeps the NB cooler than Abit's stock heatsink/fan and is
    passive to boot, so no more noise.

    Guest, Jul 19, 2007
  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    After looking at the link you posted I realized that the fan and the
    heat sink are two different animals.

    I have unplugged the fan and put the heat sink back on the mobo.

    Do all heat sinks attach to the mobo with the two hooks?

    I would like to find a heat sink without a fan but how can I be sure
    it will work with the two hooks on the mobo?

    Also, I don't' work on computers very much so I don't have any heat
    sink paste. Should I be concerned with overheating if I am not over
    clocking?

    Thanks

    Terry, Jul 19, 2007
  5. Terry

    frodo Guest

    you're right, the ABIT replacement is just the fan portion. The next post
    w/ the zalman passive heatsink looks pretty good to me, for $10.

    I'm not an expert either, but I do know that that northbridge usually
    doesn't have a fan, many MoBo makers use a passive heatsink w/ it (like
    the zalman above).

    Many heatsinks come with a tiny capsule of thermal paste; if not radio
    shack will sell ya a tube of it.

    Attachment methods are pretty universal, I think most will work fine w/
    the hooks provided.

    -----

    Hold off a day or so, someone else here will certainly chime in w/ their
    experience, I know lots of folks have replaced their IC7/IS7 northbridge
    fans and have posted here. They seem to fail or annoy quite often...
    [mine sometimes whines at startup, but hasn't failed yet. I do not
    throttle it, I just let it run full-tilt, maybe that's why it continues
    to work ok].

    frodo, Jul 19, 2007
  6. Terry

    Guest Guest

    This Zalman cooler works fine on the IC7-G. It can be mounted
    on mobos with either loops or mounting holes.

    Guest, Jul 19, 2007
  7. Terry

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, take it off again. Peel the label off to reveal the lubrication
    access and drop a small drop of very light weight oil into it to lubricate
    the sleeve/bearings. Re-assemble and check it in another 5 years or so.

    Wes Newell, Jul 19, 2007
  8. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I will give that a shot. Thanks