What makes it faster? Lower latency or higher bus speed?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Daniel Gomes, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Daniel Gomes

    Daniel Gomes Guest

    I need some help.

    I am building a system with an Asus P4PE mobo (845PE Chipset, 533MHz
    FSB), to be upgraded to a P4C800 (875P Chipset, 800 MHz FSB,
    Dual-Channel DDR400 Memory). Both have flexible CPU Core Voltage
    Adjustments in 0.025V increments over defaults, adjustable FSB/DDR
    ratio, fixed AGP/PCI freqencies, frequency selection at 1MHz
    increments (from 100MHz up to 200MHz on the P4PE and up to 400MHz on
    the P4C800).

    I will be starting with a 2.4GHz 533FSB and eventually upgrade to a
    3.0GHz 800FSB.

    My objective is to overclock to the highest operating/user experienced
    speed I can.

    I am totally new to overclocking so I do not know exactly how lower
    latency compensates for higher bus speeds when it comes to the final
    user experienced speed. Thats where I need some help.

    Right now I am shopping for a couple of 512MB RAM modules (for a 1GB
    board). I came down to a few options from Corsair XMS line:
    1. CMX512-2700LL: 333MHz 512MB (64Mx64) and CAS Latency of 2-2-2-5-T1
    2. CMX512-3200LL: 400MHz 512MB (64Mx64) and CAS Latency of 2-3-2-6-T1
    3. CMX512-3500C2: 434MHz 512MB (64Mx64) and CAS Latency of 2-3-3-7-T1
    4. CMX512-4000: 500MHz 512MB (64Mx64) and CAS Latency of 3-4-4-8
    5. Other?

    Having in mind that I plan to upgrade to the P4C800, which of the
    above is likely to let me best overclock? Why?

    I really appreciate any help.

    Thanks,
    Daniel

    Daniel Gomes, Jul 26, 2003