    I want to upgrade the CPU's on my Tyan S2460. Can anyone tell me what MP
    CPU's will the S2460 take, and which it wont.

    Thanks,

    Parts4Sale, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Parts4Sale

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Officially the highest rating CPUs are MP 1900+ but unofficially many people
    have posted here that they're using Barton core CPUs (I think I remember
    seeing 2400+ Mobile Athlons mentioned). It would be worth doing a search
    among previous postings relating to the S2460, also a nosey at www.2cpu.com
    forums.

    What do you currently have and what would you like as the upgrade CPUs?

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Parts4Sale

    Bryan Hoover Guest

    If it's not fully compatible with the 2800+ MP, then it's probably
    because the bios does not support the required multiplier. In which
    case, the program referenced at

    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/amd762/2.html

    may help.

    Bryan

    Bryan Hoover, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Parts4Sale

    dr ratt Guest

    i ran xp-m2400s in an s2460. they drew less power & ran cooler than the
    mp1600s they replaced.

    dr ratt

    dr ratt, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Parts4Sale

    Guest Guest

    I can say positivly that MP2800+ CPUs work fine. Been running two of them
    in mine, for over 12 months. Nothing needed to be done. Standard 1.05
    BIOS. I did add extra 5v leads to my power connector though. See
    http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=383057 for further details.

    Guest, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Parts4Sale

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    ....and I just sold an S2460 machine with dual MP2600+ CPUs (BIOS 2.14 from
    an S2462 board). Also added one extra 5V lead to the ATX connector.

    BTW, for those waiting for info regarding the BIOS differences between the
    S2460's 1.05 and the S2462's 2.14 BIOS revisions, I apologize as the machine
    has been sold. However, I remember a couple of things:

    - The 2.14 BIOS did not recognize CPU fan speed (0 RPM), but it accurately
    resolved CPU temps
    - 2.14 BIOS correctly recognized the CPUs as MP2600+
    - If there was a performance gain from using the 2.14 BIOS, I didn't notice
    it, but the machine did run great

    For those not aware of the situation, I had a 1.04 BIOS chip that would not
    flash to 1.05. I contacted Tyan for support and they said they'd send me a
    new chip with BIOS ver. 1.05. What I'd received was the version 2.14 BIOS
    chip for the Thunder K7 (S2462) board. Either Tyan made a mistake -- which I
    doubt because I was clear about what I needed -- or they knew that the
    Thunder K7 BIOS chip would work in a Tiger MP and decided to send that one.
    In any case, the board worked fine so I didn't care. It did kind of freak me
    out though the first time I booted and saw "Thunder K7," instead of Tiger MP
    on the initial BIOS screen.

    R. J. Salvi, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Parts4Sale

    Paul Murphy Guest

    <snip>
    I hope you got an excellent price for your one of a kind "special edition
    Thunder K7" ;-)

    Thanks for the follow-up post re the BIOS mod. If EVERYTHING had worked fine
    (including fan speed monitoring), I would have tried that but since I need
    my fan monitoring and have a couple of "within spec" MP 1600+ CPUs in my
    S2460, I'll just stick with what I have. It's good to know the outcome
    though.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Mar 30, 2005
  8. Parts4Sale

    Miloman Guest

    Would have been interesting if the IDE 64GB limit issue was solved with this
    BIOS...
    Paul.

    Miloman, Apr 3, 2005
  9. Parts4Sale

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    You mean 137GB limit. I seem to recall a parameter called "Large disk access
    mode." Here's a link to the manual which has the BIOS parameters listed:

    ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2462_100.pdf

    R. J. Salvi, Apr 3, 2005
  10. Parts4Sale

    Paul Murphy Guest

    The Large Disk Access mode set to DOS still only allows up to 137 GB HDDs to
    be detected correctly by the onboard IDE controllers and the reason is
    because neither the MP nor the MPX chipset natively supports 48 bit LBA -
    i.e. its a hardware limitation. I'm unsure of any limitations associated
    with the onboard SCSI for the Thunder K7 but that wouldn't have any effect
    on the Tiger MP which doesn't have onboard SCSI. 48 bit LBA is what's needed
    to support the full capacity of IDE drives over 137 GB. Personally I have a
    3Ware RAID card in my S2460 with 4 HDDs and 220 GB detected by Windows. I
    use the onboard IDE Ports for my DVD Burner and Iomega Zip Drive.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Apr 3, 2005