    TIA, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Dragan Cvetkovic

    Coy Hile Guest

    Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
    teface.
    You probably need one that will in effect do null-modem. With the
    pinouts of the RJ45-DB25 adapters being what they are, it ends up being

    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

    The top row of pins being one end of the cable and the bottom row the other.

    HTH.

    Coy Hile, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Thanks Coy. So does it mean that, although there is already a RJ45M to
    DB25P adapter by Sun, one has to modify the network cable itself?

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Dragan Cvetkovic

    Ed Hall Guest

    Hi,
    You should use a normal (straight through) RJ45 cable, the adapters are
    wired to take care of the null modem signal crossing.
    Regards,
    Ed Hall

    Ed Hall, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Thanks Ed. Will try that.

    Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Dragan Cvetkovic

    Coy Hile Guest

    I've seen it depend. Going from (for example) the LOM Port on my
    netras, I needed to use a straight through cable, but to go between the
    ultra2 on my desk and my ultra60's ttya (or from ttyb on a netra to the
    LOM port on another netra), I needed the pinouts I just mentioned. I
    don't know if there is rhyme or reason to it; if a straight through
    cable does not work, I use the pinouts I mentiond above.

    Coy Hile, Nov 8, 2004
  7. OK, tried, but didn't work. It seems that either DB25 to RJ45 adapter (P/N
    530-2889-03) doesn't do what I thing it should do or there is some more
    magic in Sun's cable with S/N 530-2152-01.

    Now, Sun Canada web site gives me C$155 for the above cable which seems a
    bit excessive for a 5m cable with a fancy adapter on top of it! Is there
    any alternative provider for such a cable or is there a series of adapters
    one can use instead?

    I just want to connect our E220R to an annex terminal server!

    TIA, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Dragan Cvetkovic

    Rich Teer Guest

    I make my own adaptors, using cheap part (<$10) from a local
    electronics parts store. I use straight-through cables, and
    make sure that one of the adaptors is a crossover one (the
    other isn't).

    That's how I hook up my machines (including my E220R) to my
    PortMaster 2E terminal server.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming"

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Nov 9, 2004
  9. After some pondering over the documentation provided by sunsolve and nortel
    and some paper and pencil use, we came upon a solution how to modify an
    RJ45 cable to plug it into 530-2889-03 (using the colours as e.g. on
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Cables/530-2151.html):

    RJ45 one end RJ45 other end

    pin wire colour pin wire colour
    1 BLU 1 BLU