What NIC chip in a Toshiba Satellite laptop - Does w2k see it w/o extra drivers ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Al Dykes, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    I'm helping to resurrect an older Satellite laptop and don't want to
    buy a copy of XP for it until I know all the hardware is working. I
    have a copy of w2k and figured I'b blow that into it as a test.

    I forget the model, but this is a middle-aged 700MHZ cpu.

    I couldn't get the NIC interface to show up in Manage Devices. Not
    even as "unknown hardware".

    Should w2k see the NIC automatically, or do I need a Toshiba driver
    even to see the chip ?

    Part of the problem is I can't get into CMOS setup. I get a booting
    PXE message, and then it either boots off the hard disk or CD, even
    thought I'm holding the [email protected] key down.

    Thanks

    Al Dykes, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Try this :

    Switch off. Hold down the Esc key and switch on. You _should_ get an
    error message along with a prompt to hit F1 to enter setup.

    This sounds like the machine is trying to boot from the NIC.

    Martin Slaney, Sep 30, 2004

  3. To get into the BIOS, hold down the ESC key before even turning the unit
    on, then continue holding it down until you get an error message on the
    screen.

    We need the model number, but a Toshiba driver will probably be
    required. They are available on the Toshiba web site.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 30, 2004