What PCMCIA USB Card Works Well With a Sun SBus PCMCIA Controller Card on Solaris 10?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Kevin Shen, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. Kevin Shen

    Kevin Shen Guest

    Dear Sir/Madam:

    I have a Sun SBus PCMCIA Controller Card, Model X1030A; Sun Part
    Number: 595-3375. This SBus card is installed on my Sun Ultra2
    workstation (2 X 300 MHz UltraSparc CPU, 512 MB RAM, and 2 X 18.2 GB
    Ultra SCSI hard drives), running on Sun Solaris 10, as the Operating
    System. I would like to use a PCMCIA USB card (the type that is
    normally used on the PCMCIA slot on laptops) with this controller card.

    Does anyone know of a good laptop PCMCIA USB / Firewire card (Make and
    Model) that works well with Sun Solaris 10 (out of the box, without
    having to download and install 3rd party device drivers), in
    conjunction with this Sun SBus PCMCIA Controller Card on my Ultra2? (I
    need USB much more than Firewire; Firewire for me is not necessary but
    nice). I plan to use this USB port with my USB devices, such as my
    digital camera, USB drives (thumb/jump drive), and other USB devices)
    with my Ultra2 workstation. I welcome any ideas and suggestions from
    anyone who has knowledge and/or experience with such a configuration
    that I just described.

    Thank you in advance.

    Sincerely,

    Kevin Shen

    Kevin Shen, Dec 11, 2006

  2. I think this will require at least cardbus support in Solaris,
    so a latish Solaris Express release. Then, I think, the ordinary
    *hci adaptors should be able to attach to the Cardbus USB/IEEE1394 cards

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Dec 11, 2006

  3. Kevin Shen

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    Hmm ... what are the chances that this could be used to accept a
    USB mouse? There is an optical Logitech trackball which would be a lot
    nicer to use in my current setup than either the Sun optical or ball
    type mice.

    And "Solaris Express"? Is this related to the downloadable
    source code for Solaris 10? Or is this another (even later) release of
    Solaris?

    Also -- will the sBus PCMCIA adaptors accept a Cardbus? (I've
    not checked whether that will fit -- but certain other PCMCIA adaptors
    definitely won't accept a Cardbus card -- a difference in the guide
    rails appears to be the main thing.

    If this will work with a USB mouse, it will postpone needing to
    replace my Ultra-2 with an Ultra-60.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Dec 12, 2006
  4. The next version of Solaris is under development (codename Nevada).
    It's built from a combination of the OpenSolaris code and some closed
    source bits put together. A recent build of Nevada is available for
    installation and use as Solaris Express.

    Darren Dunham, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Kevin Shen

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Thanks,