What ram to use to Overclock Opteron 165 ?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by MR Hard, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. MR Hard

    MR Hard Guest

    What ram to use to Overclock Opteron 165 ?

    Iam just wondering if pc 3200 with 4000mhz with Low Latency or DDR
    4000, 5000 mhz should be used for an Amd Opteron 165 system.

    I want to overclock. Is the FSb more important than low latencys. The
    ram somone recomended is some :

    MUSHKIN XP Samsung UCCC PC4000 2GB Kit (2x1024Mb) 2048Mb XP4000
    3-4-3-8 eXtreme Performance 991483

    This ram can easily get 250mhz FSB and probalby 300 even :)

    I myself was looking at:

    OCZ Platinum PC3200 2Gb Kit 2-3-2-5 (2x1024MB/2048) 400MHz
    OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

    Only concidering this ram becuase i was always tld LOW Latency is the
    best thing for an AMD system. Has this changed ?

    Any help would be grea. Just getting my new system together.

    Thanks.

    MR Hard, Mar 12, 2006

  2. MR Hard

    DDC Guest

    In my experience with athlon xp i had better luck with memory
    frequency higher than 400mhz witch mean you should look for a quality
    brands that has the platinum spec and a rate of 500mh witch should be
    known as pc 4000 or ddr 4000 if you like. Why because you not going
    over the ram spec to get with a athlon64 [email protected] (10x200fsb) a
    10x250fsb / 2.5gh. witch would be a athlon64 4200... By respecting the
    ram spec your system will be more stable. And this way your not going
    to break your ram, selling it to a sucker to get the Wright stuff.

    The platinum meaning if only that it bean tested on several more
    motherboard and is mostlikly possible to work best with your mobo.

    that was for corsair mem if i recall. maybe it true for other makers
    too...

    But in both choice there is good and bad. Reading reviews on both ram
    could help you allot.

    DDC, Mar 12, 2006

  3. MR Hard

    Les Steel Guest

    For Corsair, Platinum is simply the colour of the heat spreader

    Les Steel, Mar 13, 2006
  4. MR Hard

    Les Steel Guest

    Try reading this article:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/02/15/memory_-_is_more_always_better/1.html

    Les Steel, Mar 13, 2006
  5. MR Hard

    DDC Guest

    I deasagree just look at some .pdf files platinum one shows that they
    are buildt to take more heat and are know to oveclock 50mhz more than
    the rating stock speed. so theorycaly a pc 3200 platinum could reach a
    speed of a pc ddr 4000.

    these link are for pc 4000 and doesn't represent what i say but it is
    clear that there is a difference there. the non platinum haven't been
    tested on several chipset.
    http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/TWINX2048-4000PT.pdf
    http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx1024-4000.pdf

    as you will notice corsair pdf files are not uptodate for the pt
    version. shame on theme....

    if i had the choice i would have buy the pt one, because it has a
    better capability to decipate the heat... any Now there are pc4000 ddr
    mem

    DDC, Mar 14, 2006