    possible types of RAM that my machine might require. How can a relative
    novice like myself find out what RAM is in my machine without having to
    take it back to the shop with a blank look on my face?

    make.fsnet, May 26, 2005

  2. make.fsnet

    Tee Guest

    Go to www.toshibausa.com and do a search for your model. There will be
    options to download driver updates, software updates, tech support, specs,
    etc. Go to the detailed specs and under System Characteristics you should
    see Memory. It'll tell you there how much memory the computer can take and
    what kind. Example for a 2430-S255:

    512mb Expandable to 1024mb; SODIMM expansion memory
    128/256/512mb PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 2.5V

    The above means it shipped with 512mb but can handle up to 1gb. With the
    512mb in the first slot the second slot can take either a 128mb stick, 256mb
    stick or 512mb stick.

    Tee, May 26, 2005

  3. make.fsnet

    Alan Gauton Guest

    Or go to http://www.crucial.com/uk and use the memory ID application on
    there.

    Alan Gauton, May 26, 2005
  4. There are multiple type of memory (more than two). It could be EDO,
    SDRAM or DDR (and perhaps, in the most recent models DDR2), and each of
    those come in multiple speed grades.

    Saying "Toshiba Satellite" is about like saying "Chevrolet". It could
    be anything from a 1960's Corvair to a 2005 Corvette (there have been
    over 500 "Toshiba Satellite" notebooks). We need specific, exact model
    numbers.

    You can download a data sheet for your computer from the toshiba web
    site, or most memory sellers have "configurators" where you plug in the
    laptop model and it tells you what you need. But, again, "Toshiba
    Satellite" isn't going to cut it.

    Barry Watzman, May 26, 2005
  5. make.fsnet

    make.fsnet Guest

    Thanks Barry,
    Excuse me for being naive, as you can see from Alan & Tee's helpful
    advice - I may have been vague but not so much so that other people
    couldn't get their head round it. If I was more technically minded I
    guess I wouldn't be here - asking these questions.

    make.fsnet, May 26, 2005