What refresh rate for a Radeon 8500 (64Mb) Dual Monitor and new Sony CPD-G520

Discussion in 'ATI' started by David Johnston, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for the advice-

    I just replaced my old DELL monitor with a new Sony CPD-G520. Great monitor
    so far, but I was playing with resolutions and landed on 1600 x 1200. Of
    course, I then started looking at refresh rates. Knowing that higher is
    better, I went for 85 (it's currently at *ack* 60). Now, odd thing is, at
    85, text is noticeably "ringier" than at 60/70/75.

    When I go in to change it, I have the "only show me the refresh rates that
    this monitor can handle" box checked 'cause I'm a wimp and worry about
    blowing up a 750.00 monitor.

    I have the aforementioned ATI Radeon 8500 (64) Multi-monitor card installed.
    So two questions:

    1. What would you recommend I try the resolution at (even displaying the
    ones that 'shouldn't' work?)
    2. Is there a way to TELL my computer that I now have not a generic "plug n
    play" monitor, but the Sony?

    Forgive the probably neophyte questions, but I figured I'd ask thems that
    knows....

    Thanks again,

    David Johnston

    David Johnston, Aug 19, 2003

  2. David Johnston

    Default Guest

    I got exactly the same combo here.
    You should run the monitor at 1600x1200 @ 100Hz - the monitor will do it.
    You should get the monitor to autodetect and load appropriate inf in
    Windows.

    Default, Aug 19, 2003

  3. David Johnston

    patrickp Guest