    says this mode will reduce system performance and I always have to
    switch it to balanced mode. How can i make it startup in Balanced
    mode. I've looked but can find out how to change that setting.

    Scott, Jun 17, 2007

  2. Am Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:18:17 -0400 schrieb Scott:
    It's not a bug - it's a feature... :)
    SCNR
    I doubt that you can increase the performance of your system significantly
    by switching off services. Vista is simply a system that is hungry for
    memory. As long as you don't reach the limits of your 2 gig system, things
    should be fine. If you have to run applications using loads of memory such
    as Photoshop - XP might be the better choice as a OS.
    What you can do is looking at tools like
    http://www.xp-antispy.org/
    http://vispa.whyeye.org/
    Although originally developed for XP, the latest versions also work with
    Vista and switch of some of the features. This might in turn save a small
    amount of memory.
    Are you using Vista on a laptop that allows to switch power profiles by a
    specific button? If so then you need to adjust the settings of the related
    program/driver. Usually these tools allow to set different profiles for
    battery/PSU-mode.

    Andreas

    Andreas Schulze-Bäing, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Scott

    Barrabas Guest

    My XP Pro Toshiba laptop presently has 70 processes
    running using 584 Mb of RAM with 1Gb total.
    The slew of networking services must be expendable,
    but I can't tell which.

    Barrabas, Jun 18, 2007